Tea for two. Cups etc. -- probably German (Bavaria?)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Hamburger, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

I'm posting this on the off chance that someone will recognise the pattern or style. Anything at all will help -- it's not possible to know less than I do. ;) Pretty much all that I do know is that these pieces spent most of the past 50 years in southern Germany (Franconia). I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that they hadn't travelled far.

There are no proper identifying marks. The blotchy gold suggests to me they could be seconds (and therefore unbranded?). Most of the pieces have the number "17" painted/printed/stamped on the bottom, one has "5" instead. Some also have a number stamped into the base: 01728, 01730, 01732. Item numbers?

Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for any insights or ideas!

IMG_6501.JPG IMG_6497.JPG IMG_6498.JPG IMG_6504.JPG

Aquitaine likes this.
  2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

3. Hamburger

That could be a helpful step in the right direction, Fid -- thanks!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. Boddah

Boddah Active Member

Those numbers is probably the form type.
    I tried searching for your cups using tags like: Kobalt, Teeservice, Mokkaservice, Goldrand, Perlmutt. I could find many similar ones, but not the same. What puzzles me is that there is no marks at all. From my humble experience all the German porcelain is marked (unless it is very old). At least the teapot should be. But I have seen some unmarked cheaper Czech porcelain. Maybe it is the case?

Hamburger likes this.
  5. Hamburger

Thanks, Boddah. I have also tried all those terms (and more) and, so far, got nowhere.

Searching for "Porzellan" and "nur die Nummer 17" got me to an eBay offer for some (quite different) pieces from Krautheim and Adelberg in Selb, so it appears that at least one German firm didn't always mark everything properly.

But yes, it could be Czech.

Boddah likes this.
  6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Is it lusterware, or just weird reflections?

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

those small numbers were also used as edition countings; especially in use on long-running models they can give an indication when looking for slight differences.

8. Hamburger

Yes, I believe that's what it's called. Perlmutt effect in German.

Yes. For me as a non-expert it's impossible to guess if a number denotes a factory/workshop, bench/painter, edition/year/run, or design (either pattern/decor or shape/form). That's why I was hoping someone might be able to tell me something about the style and/or period. Recognising the manufacturer or anything more specific would of course be wonderful!

The longer numbers might be part numbers for the various 'accessory' pieces: 01728 appears on both the teapot and its lid, 01730 on the sugar bowl and 01732 on the milk jug. The cups and saucers don't have longer numbers.

Acting on a suggestion made in a PM (thank you!), I've now also asked about this service on a German-language forum and will report back if there are any helpful responses.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Boddah likes this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

and ? no answer yet from Germany ?

10. Hamburger

Sadly nothing at all, Fid.

11. Hamburger

Not much progress on these, but I heard back from a German expert this week. She couldn't identify the maker or pattern, but thought they might be from Poland or possibly the GDR and might have been finished by someone other than the manufacturer.

Realistically, we're probably only going to learn more if someone stumbles by and recognises them.

Boddah likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted