Featured Teach me how choose

Discussion in 'Art' started by Oliver277, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Oliver277

Oliver277 Active Member

Hi all
    Can you explain me how know choose a good way for find interesting painting.
    I see a lot ..but how i can recognize nice painting?
    Example of 3 painting i haved see..
    It have 1 with interest for you?
    frame can be a indice for era?
    How i can value it + or -
    Tell me how u proceed :)
    59874323_2395818334038322_104377381854117888_n.jpg 64655145_2424313541188801_5146579024973135872_n.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Oliver277

Oliver277 Active Member

3. Oliver277

Oliver277 Active Member

Of course my ask is at first impression when see it..like u see now
    In these 3 if it have 1 interesting..what determine you to will know moore about it or what determine it have interest?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

First of all, make sure they are paintings and not prints.;)
    Check if you see brushstrokes which are consistent with the image. A blade of grass, for instance, often shows as a raised line when you study the paint closely.
    If the painting seems very flat but varnished just the same, check if you see dots in the image, which reveal a printing technique. Check the edges to see if it is paper, maybe some paper wear.
    Always check backs, to see if everything is in keeping with the period suggested.

Second, if you want to sell, choose an attractive subject in a style people want.
    My personal choice would be the first one, but that is far from a popular choice.
    The second one is more what people want, but I have my doubts as to its authenticity. Which brings me to the third point:

Third, make sure your painting has soul. The Chinese are producing Western style paintings by the boatloads now, so-called factory paintings. Those are often good technically, but lack any feeling or soul.

I am sure the others will give you more advice on what to look for.

We can't advise you on whether to buy any of these, because we can't see any backs or details and have no chance to check them in any way.

antidiem, Christmasjoy, judy and 6 others like this.
  5. Oliver277

Oliver277 Active Member

i have ask moore pictures but is hard :)
    Info
    is f. Evredt
    And its rub (hope translator work)
    The seller say its from is grand father..
    And others pictures is ugly..and he cant pic back because heavy..
    That look not a good way in my impression..
    67887655_617087685448685_2517454480224550912_n.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I agree that the first thing to check is that it is an actual painting. It always it good to look for a signature to point you in the right direction however signatures are sometimes copied and some paintings are signed just to be "signed" such as some of the "reproduction" paintings.

If you're buying for yourself buy what you like. Even though the first painting you show is out of focus and could be a distorted image, I'm immediately disturbed by the size of the hand on the staff which appears to my eye to be too small when compared to the other hand.

7. Oliver277

Oliver277 Active Member

For my defense it was a small part of hand painting :)

8. Oliver277

Oliver277 Active Member

My idea is study a little and find interesting things but i dont will buy for me..is for resell after ..i think is a good way for learn :)
    Im beginner painter (4 years)

9. Oliver277

Oliver277 Active Member

For second is ugly pictures whos not helping too ...
    For the third painting seller say its from 1700 and size is 170cm x 160 cm
    But not yet moore info about it

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Then just say, "no, thank you." Particularly when buying from photos, you need as many photos as possible. If the seller won't provide what you need, leave it.

I know I was the first one to suggest "print" on your other piece, but I became less sure of that when you showed close-ups. I am still not sure. You must be able to tell which opinion is right.

(Though with that hidden mirror piece, if it was hand painted, it was probably product of a "factory worker" and not really a piece with monetary value.)

11. Any Jewelry

Agree.:)
    Plenty of other paintings.

12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Oliver, if you look at the first 2 “pinned posts” on the Art Forum here, you will see references that may help you to learn about artist research and types of etchings if that is also an interest you have.

13. Jivvy

And on the above point. Some sellers lie. Some sellers are mistaken. Family history is some of the most lie-filled history that exists.

Translator fail. Maybe write that sentence in French -- we have several people who can read French (I am not one of them. :joyful:)

14. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Hello Oliver.
    If there is an art museum near you, go visit and look at paintings and other artworks that have been selected by experienced curators. Learning how to recognize materials, and determine the quality of a painting, is a long process. While the people here are very knowledgeable and can help you research particular artworks, there is no substitute for educating your eye by visiting and looking at good examples as much as you can. You need to study texture, and color, and construction of well identified examples. Also, visit your local library and study books on art history. The more you look, the more you will learn to see and recognize.

15. Jivvy

Well said, well said!

16. Oliver277

Oliver277 Active Member

In french is maroufler ..dont know translator was a lier too :)

-not print
    -not bad pictures
    -not sweet story or strange story
    -read book and visit museum (haved do Rubens house...waouhh amazing :) )

for moment ,i have a little difficulty with others paintings because i like much realism and pretty executed paintings..

And thank you all for yours tips ;)

2manybooks, kyratango and i need help like this.
  17. i need help

18. Oliver277

Oliver277 Active Member

Here is the work i do in panting..is not finished but thats my style IMG_20181006_183401_436.jpg

19. Any Jewelry

Lovely, Oliver.

i need help likes this.
  20. i need help

Wonderful, Thank you for sharing with us! :)

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted