Featured Teeny Tiny Knife, Native American?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Steve Shubinski, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Steve Shubinski

Steve Shubinski Well-Known Member

I do not believe I have ever seen a knife so small. What in the world could it have been for other than souvenir purposes? It is about 7/8" long and comes with its own buckskin sheath. The handle appears to be bone with a little piece of turquoise on the end. Any thoughts? As always, thanks for the responses.

little knife 1.jpg little knife 2.jpg little knife 3.jpg little knife 4.jpg little knife 5.jpg little knife 6.jpg

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

@Any Jewelry might know...kinda looks like a mini version of an Indonesian Kris.

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Yes, a little keris with a bone & turquoise handle. AJ is our go-to person for these.

4. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Wondering if it might be a toothpick of some sort.........just a WAG

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

GREAT IF IT IS!! But to me that handle just doesn't look 'bone'........

little knife 2X-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.jpg

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

:eek::inpain::inpain:
    i ain't stickin that in my mouth...............

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Toenail cleaner????????????????????:cigar::joyful::singing::smuggrin:

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Horn, maybe. But if whole thing is tourist souvenir, handle materials probably artificial. I'm just making things up until AJ gets here.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-8-23_1-21-43.jpeg

There is a world of miniature knives.......
    I think this one is home made.....the handle & sheath bear no familiarity to the blade style..

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The keris proper, meaning the blade, was once a healing keris that was used by an Indonesian Dukun (Shaman). A 'Dukun keris' or keris healer would have several of these, all meant for different illnesses or other health issues.

Yours may have been acquired by someone who liked to dabble in Neo-Shamanism, and who added the NA inspired hilt and buckskin sheath. His or her way to keep it safe, I appreciate that. Some Neo-Shamanists think it is all the same thing, whichever culture it comes from. It makes me sad though.
    The blade is lovely, but I think the healing spirit would have left or be dormant, the best thing to do for a keris when it is in this non-appropriate state. It looks glued to the hilt, or even worse, soldered on to the hobbyist crosspiece.:(

Here is one of mine in a teak sheath, this type of 'dress' would be appropriate for yours (if it still has its tang):

upload_2020-8-23_15-47-37.jpeg
    upload_2020-8-23_15-47-48.jpeg

Steve, does yours have 'pamor', the pattern on the blade as well? It is difficult to tell from the photos.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  11. Steve Shubinski

Steve Shubinski Well-Known Member

AJ, mine does not have "pamor" on the blade.

pearlsnblume, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thanks, Steve. It looked that way, but I thought I'd verify.
    In that case it is possible that it is a small 'keris jimat', a protective or good luck keris to be worn underneath clothing. I know quite a few people who have one tucked into their sock.;) It would also originally have been in a wooden sheath and hilt.

13. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Just like an elf to bring a mini keris to a gun fight !

Gus Tuason and moreotherstuff like this.
  14. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Commercially tanned leather could be from anywhere, so, not an indicator for it being NA. Style of knife blade doesn't support NA either.

Draft saved Draft deleted