Tell City Chairs or Not?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by uriema40, Sep 24, 2019.

1. uriema40

uriema40 Active Member

Hello Everyone!
    I am so excited to have found this "active" forum. I have always loved antiques but never started collecting anything, worried I'd spend too much. So now my daughters and I have started shopping at goodwill and other thrift shops.

We recently found 2 chairs that just looked really old but sturdy. One of them has a tag underneath says "Tell City" and "Mahogany 27" so I have googled them. However, it looks like they are either the real thing or knock offs because the wood almost feels like engineered wood.

Also, the one with the rose carved back is not as "pretty" and neatly done as others I have seen online.

I just removed the original fabric from the seat today and removed 4 screws from each one as well as small little nails and tacks that were used to hold it in place. Also, the padding is definitely old time--looks like straw in there too..LOL

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Attached Files:

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I doubt that Tell City had enough visibility and high enough prices to make "faking" them worthwhile. Of course I could be wrong, so let's tag someone more experienced in furniture. @verybrad

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

They are not engineered wood, but a plain lower cost type of real wood, like alder, birch or maple, then stained and varnished to a "mahogany" colour.
    Oh ...and they are in the regency style.

5. uriema40

uriema40 Active Member

Thank y'all for the quick feedback:)
    I'm planning to wash and reuse the original fabric and just add a bit more cushion. (I just prefer the most original look possible.) But is the wood easy to refinish or should I just leave them as is? Not sure what their value is so I'd hate to devalue them by painting them or ruining the finish...?

Ghopper1924 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They're sweet but of little import. Go crazy.

Debora

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. uriema40

uriema40 Active Member

Good. Sounds great. My girls and I will have some fun with that...
    Thanks again!

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome uriema. Sounds like a nice project, will you show us the result?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Uriema!

Welcome to Antiquers.........

I have a set of 6 of the Rose detail chairs. I bought them 2nd hand many years ago, and was told by the previous owners that they were from the 1940's.

I believe they are in the STYLE of Duncan Phyfe.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dun...j69i57j0l4.11231j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The prices being asked are a bit high to say the least.

If I were to sell my 6 chairs, I would like to think I could get $150, but wouldn't count on it.

10. uriema40

uriema40 Active Member

Hello Judy:)

Yes, I did find info on that style but the rose carve out on my chair seem kind of...not sure how to describe it...maybe "rough"? At least compared to the pics I've seen online. And even though one of the chairs had the Tell City tag on it, I thought maybe they were imitations and maybe even made much later. But if mine are also circa 1940s then that is exciting because we just bought a home built in 1932. I'd love to get some furniture to go with the 30s and 40s vibes in here.

Thanks again for the help!

Oh and did you keep your chairs as is or did you refinish paint them?

11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Uriema!

These chairs I think were still popular in the 1950's and later.

My chairs were in excellent condition when I purchased them, and I have kept them so.

I've stripped so much furniture in my lifetime, that I wouldn't paint an antique or vintage piece unless it was not worth anything more than a dime.....or two! :cat:

I did antique (paint) two oak pieces 35 years ago. I don't like oak, and have never been sorry that I painted them. I still have them, and use them daily.

However, I feel sorry for the next person coming along that would like to restore them.

You have to decide on what to do with your chairs. Remember that paint chips over time.........just saying.

12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I should add though, that I love the old/antique pieces that were originally painted....blues, greens, mustard greens, etc. Time has enhanced those pieces if they've been respected and have been cared for.

13. uriema40

uriema40 Active Member

I like to watch clips on youtube...sometimes Dr. Lori, but also other people's personal experience with antiques and vintage items. I've seen that some were commonly painted like you say but others not...and some feel it is disrespectful to paint antiques. (Does straw and wool for seat padding help date the chair?)

I've never really painted furniture, but I'd love to start and since my newly acquired chairs ($5 each) don't seem like high quality wood, I assume it should be fine.

I also have a table I bought about 2 years ago. If you don't mind, I am attaching it so you can tell me what you might know about it...or should I start a new thread?

The only markings I found underneath were some numbers and MAH--which I think might mean mahogany...
    Sorry...still lots of questions because I am still learning.
    Thanks Judy:)

Attached Files:

14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Chairs are 40s-50s and the perfect accompaniment to your 40s Duncan Phyfe style table. Not terribly valuable so paint or refinish as you would like.

15. uriema40

uriema40 Active Member

Thanks! I was looking to drop the leafs and use just the 2 chairs for now and then maybe later find another 4...even if they aren't the perfect match...similar style will work:)

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Similar stylewill work. Have fun!

Debora

17. uriema40

uriema40 Active Member

Sure...I'm just not sure how to get started. I feel like I'm still in a collection mode. Today I found another side chair for $6 that I plan to pick up tomorrow and I remembered I have 2 yellow armchairs I got for $15/pair.

You have any suggestions for me?

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted