Testing Gold

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Houseful, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Ive recently got an acid testing kit, I’ve used the silver one once now, all ok, but for the first time using the gold I’m wondering if anyone can give me any advice please? This little bracelet is well made, 7 inches long, no wear marks on the clasp, I’d like to test it for gold without ruining it. Where would you file it, would you even file it or best to rub it on the stone? Thanks for any pointers.
    ~
    EF34B67B-DB6B-403C-9CD4-0A7243B24883.jpeg 55878547-2845-4063-99F5-270AB74F10F0.jpeg 64925AA7-29B6-4205-9B67-A7F20363967F.jpeg

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

No need for filing. Use a large sewing needle to scratch through the surface in one of the hollow backs.

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

4. Houseful

Thank you Terry, I will try that.
    Yes, Davey I did that. I bought one of the good neodymium ones you recommended ages ago. The acid kit came with a small magnet in a plastic case but I use the known neodymium one.

5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Have you found any platinum pieces with your magnet?

Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. Houseful

Sadly, I’ve never found any platinum.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm 95% sure from here the bracelet is costume. That clasp almost always is. It might be 18K HGE but odds on it's not solid gold.

8. Houseful

Thanks, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

There seems to be the occasional diamond chip in the silver, with the other silver blobs suggesting a stone, but no actual stone. That makes me think silver, partly gold-plated. Probably Chinese made.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and Houseful like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't see any stones at all; they're just bumps.

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

From a complete amateur so take this with a pinch of salt.
    I massively struggle with filing any piece of jewellery or putting acid straight onto it as it can destroy what is otherwise a nice piece of costume jewellery.
    If I'm looking at a joblot on eBay I never bid on anything if I can see an acid mark as a)it's not gold b) if it was nice costume it's damaged now.
    I only scratch and test if it's obviously totally irretrievably broken scrap. Obviously I will never make my fortune.
    Any bits I test I use a magnet first and then a stone. Normally (sadly) it's very clear from the second you put a drop of acid on the streak it's not gold. If I get a possible I use a loupe to look at where I've rubbed the jewellery on the stone as sometimes you can clearly see the bare metal underneath.
    If I need to make a mark I use a little sharp awl in an inconspicuous place and test it next to a running tap so I can rinse it off straight away.
    If I'm completely stumped I chuck it in my 'maybe' bag until my testing skills improve.
    Top tip- If it is gold and you are left with a black acid mark on the gold a pencil eraser will often remove it.
    As I say, complete amateur.

12. Any Jewelry

We are all amateurs.
    I am never in favour of filing.

KSW, Christmasjoy, Houseful and 3 others like this.
  13. Houseful

There is! So hard to see. Just two teeny diamonds amongst all the blobs. Tested fine for the diamonds, not sure if there are any more under the metal. I’ve still not tested the metal, as a novice I’ve got to read through the instructions.

KSW, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Houseful

Thanks for your input KSW. I’ve put it in my ‘maybe’ bag too for a little while until I suddenly think I will tackle that today!

KSW likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

No, there wouldn't be. The bracelet is meant to mimick a 'real' diamond bracelet. The blobs suggest stones, but aren't, and the two chips are put there for a bit of sparkle and so it can be sold as a diamond bracelet even if it is just two tiny stones.;)

Jivvy, KSW and Houseful like this.
  16. Houseful

Thanks, it didn’t really make sense to have just these two minuscule chips until you explained the marketing.
    Do you think the silver metal might actually be silver?

KSW likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

I think so, and the gold would be a thin layer over the silver. So basically a silver bracelet with some type of gold plating, and two minute diamonds.:)

Jivvy and KSW like this.
  18. Houseful

Just wondering why they didn’t even bother putting a 925 on it if they took the time to put weeny diamonds in it.
    I did take it to my gold buyer but he was reluctant to test it, we decided to leave it for the time being.

Any Jewelry, Jivvy and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted