Texacoco or Chimayo blanket? Please Help

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Mswanson823, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Mswanson823

Mswanson823 New Member

Hi, this is my first post. I came across this blanket today and immediately knew that it was something unique. Can anyone help me with what the origins of this blanket are? I can tell it is a well-made blanket but I've never seen anything like it before. A bit of research leads me to think Texacoco or Chimayo. How can I determine how old it is and is it worth anything? It's appx 48" x 72". I'd love any information or insight that anyone can offer. Thank you so much!
    Link to pictures:
    https://www.antiquers.com/media/albums/texacoco-or-chimayo-blanket.971/

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Potteryplease likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, @Mswanson823 !

You can embed photos directly, by clicking the camera icon, if you like.

3. Mswanson823

Mswanson823 New Member

Thanks - I tried but it says the pictures are too big.

4. i need help

5. i need help

judy and Mswanson823 like this.
  6. Mswanson823

Mswanson823 New Member

7. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! Nice piece.

i need help and Mswanson823 like this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

My vote is for Texcoco. The gray is not a typical color, but the small S figures may be the deciding characteristic. Possibly early to mid 20th century, although the colors are awfully bright and fresh.
    Taupou will be able to say more.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  9. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

An odd thing just happened. I was sure I had answered this late last night, but this morning, nothing showed up here. I finally checked on my name at the top of the page, and then on "Recent Activity." It said I had recently posted on Albums. How that happened, I have no idea. I never even look on Albums, and am not even sure of the purpose, I usually just read the New Posts.

Anyway, here's what I evidently somehow posted on "Albums," for what it's worth, and for the rest of the Antiquers who also never look at "Albums" :

"It's from the Texcoco region of Mexico. I'd say mid-20th century. I'd check Sold Listings on eBay to see if any similar pieces have sold recently, or what they are going for.

I do know the market for certain rugs has felt a decline in the last few years. I don't deal specifically in Mexican rugs, so I can't say if it's the same."

Draft saved Draft deleted