Textile Strips. Age and Origin?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by 'Nuff_Said, Mar 3, 2015.

1. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Old or new? Possible origin?
    Sizes: 16 x 1-1/2 in. & 12 x 2-1/2 in.

Thank you!

TEXTILE STRIPS 001-001.JPG TEXTILE STRIPS 002-001.JPG TEXTILE STRIPS 003-001.JPG TEXTILE STRIPS 004-001.JPG TEXTILE STRIPS 005-001.JPG TEXTILE STRIPS 006-001.JPG TEXTILE STRIPS 007-001.JPG TEXTILE STRIPS 008-001.JPG

mymysharona43 likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Nice -- I'd be interested in knowing the answers, too.

judy likes this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

me too! :D

judy likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The one on the right looks like Swedish linen, but don't quote me. My WAG, for what it's worth, is that someone had a table loom and was messing around.

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have a very similar one like the red one. It was made by a friend's mother in Denmark as part of her therapy post stroke. I do not know if it was a kit or something. It was a bookmark.
    greg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    judy likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

First, I am not a textile person.
    Only want to say back in the late 60s early 70s there was a shop in an old house in Sausalito. They imported all these braids, trims, ribbons etc.
    I remember sewing this type of braid on cutoffs and jeans. Some of my friends used them on purses they made.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  7. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

The red one looks like a bookmark I found in a bible that was dated 1865 that I sold a few years back.

8. 'Nuff_Said

Thanks guys! Hopefully, 6rivets or another knowledgeable member of textiles will chime-in and enlighten us all as to age, origin and materials used to make these......bookmarks(?).....thanks Mill Cover. That's exactly what my hubby thought these were.

9. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

They look like Jacquard weaving but soooo not my thing.
    Bookmarks would be my guess, late 19th.?
    They're cool.

Cluttered might be on the right track too. I sooo remember seeing exactly what she speaks of.

10. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Probably Latvian.

antidiem likes this.
  11. 'Nuff_Said

Thank you! Looks like you nailed it.....the one at left.

From the book: 'Latviešu Jostas/Latvian Sashes, Belts and Bands by Aleksandra Dzērvītis and Lilija Treimanis Page 239'.

Take a look at the pattern circled in red...

belts 4-002.jpg

Hopefully, someone will come along and ID the one at right which appears to be much older(?).

spirit-of-shiloh and Figtree3 like this.
  12. 6rivets

6rivets Active Member

Not jacquard. Overshot weave, in a pattern known as Snowball and Wedding Ring (among other names). Found from eastern Europe all the way to Wales, which is how overshot coverlet weaving got to the southern US.

13. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I had a guitar strap similar to the red one :)

Tauriel and komokwa like this.
  14. 'Nuff_Said

Damn, I almost forgot about this thread.

Thanks so much, 6Rivets! Any thoughts on a circa (19th/20th C.?).

15. Silver

Silver Active Member

I've seen fabrics like the red one used as a bookmark in an Anglican church bible kept on a lectern for the reading of the day.

Draft saved Draft deleted