textile with sea shells

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by billyd3us, Dec 30, 2018.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

I picked this up a few weeks ago because I have never seen anything like it before, I guess that's why I have so much stuff at my place. I am always buying, what a bad habit I guess.
    Anybody know what this is ?

Thank You

Billy D. 012.JPG 013.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG 016.JPG 017.JPG 019.JPG

aaroncab and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The shells are cowrie shells. My first impression is that it is African, and perhaps a decorative chest strap for a horse. Still looking for a good comparative example.

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

Just one thing as said that they are cauris, used as a money by a lot of societies, then it's possible to be an attribute to expose your wealth ?
    For the provenance as the back seems to be original and machine make it can be from a place where there was exchange between counties(they are typical glass tubes too from bartering places).

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

What are the dimensions?

5. billyd3us

40” long

6. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Maybe @Taupou would recognize it.
    Patd

7. Lecollectionneur

As the under part seems to be very clean, I think it's made for a man or a woman, not for a horse or similar.
    If nobody knows what it is I can ask to the ethnographic curator in Geneva but now it is holidays until the beginning of January.

Jivvy and i need help like this.
  8. Jivvy

I would certainly be interested. My first thought was also African, but now I'm wondering if maybe it's Indonesian. . . although I think there are enough people here familiar with Indonesian fabrics, some one would have identified it.

It is not (I really don't think), but reminds me of the Indian toran (door/window topper).

9. 2manybooks

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Lecollectionneur likes this.
  10. Jivvy

I did not even notice that. :hilarious:

11. billyd3us

Nice to hear this instead of a horse, Thanks LEcollectionneur. If you ask the Geneva curator, that would be great, if not, it's still okay, I appreciate your help.

i need help likes this.
  12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I also think nomadic Indian. I thought that was Banjara.

2manybooks and i need help like this.
  13. Lecollectionneur

No problem to ask to ethnographers, they are here for that purpose, what is important too in my opinion is the use of cauris, because as far as I know they were used as weights or as a money replacement, this can be a way to search combined with trade glass use.

i need help and Jivvy like this.
  14. Jivvy

I'm curious about the colors and the style of fringe.

i need help likes this.
  15. Jivvy

Still bothered by the colors and fringe and general feel, I was skimming through WORLD TEXTILES (by John Gillow and Bryan Sentance) and came across a Pakistani piece of clothing that started me looking at Pakistani pieces in general and I found this:

temp01.jpg

From: https://www.sindhcrafts.com/buy/home-decor/embroidered-door-hangings/

I think that's getting much closer.

Edit to add: this is a crop of the pic that sent me off in this direction. Note the shells. 20181231_111242.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Bakersgma, 2manybooks and i need help like this.
  16. 2manybooks

Lecollectionneur likes this.
  17. billyd3us

Nice find Jivvy, thanks for your search efforts, I appreciate it lots, have a happy new year

LIbraryLady and Jivvy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted