Featured Thai? silver belt buckle

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Ratsy Brown, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Hello

I found this lovely silver belt buckle on eBay. It wasn't listed very well and I paid just £12.50 including shipping. Very happy as I can't find any better quality examples online, and quite heavy at 125g.

Is it from Siam? I normally see Indian buckles but the decoration looks like Siam silver.

PXL_20210424_164518004_compress98.jpg PXL_20210424_164720659_compress13.jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

That is amazing repousse on a small piece,it must have taken days to make.

Ratsy Brown and kyratango like this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I think this is likely from Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and it's super, what a bargain!

I suspect it was cast and perhaps hand chased to finish it, not that takes away from the artistry.

5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It's not cast,the work was done on sheet metal.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is absolutely stunning, Ratsy. Given the depiction of what seems to be the Hindu Goddess Kali on either side, I would say it is Indian.
    The centre scene is one of attack, something associated with Kali. Kali is a very complex Mother Goddess, powerful and protective. Her war-like association stems from the fact that she wages war on demons.

A lot of antique/vintage Indian religious themed decorative silver comes from southern India, especially Madras, present day Chennai. It is often called Swami ware, because of the religious nature.
    This could be Swami ware, although I have never seen a piece of this outstanding quality.
    Ratsy, you are one lucky guy!:happy:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  7. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Thank you @Any Jewelry for your detail, and to everyone else who replied. This was a very lucky find.

Draft saved Draft deleted