Thai Temple Rubbing on Rice Paper

Discussion in 'Art' started by Axel Foley, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Axel Foley

Axel Foley Member

1F68CAE2-4548-4082-A614-59CC8ECC2F2C.jpeg 6070F98C-4CC4-415F-B3B3-010A9B453E4E.jpeg ED27879C-8CA6-477B-86C0-4F7C12841E8E.jpeg E7EA6E59-AB56-4B6E-8FA0-72D6E6DBB6DF.jpeg DD41B273-EAB7-4ED5-B68E-F5CA119F7F9C.jpeg CCCBAE92-4394-43CF-A39D-1A839B6FAAC9.jpeg
    looking for more information on this , is there any way to tell the age ? Thank you for viewing

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not sure anyone rubbed a temple to get this.......;)

@Any Jewelry

3. Axel Foley

Axel Foley Member

4. komokwa

Googles not yer friend........take what they post with a grain of salt and always drill deeper...;)..:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

5. Axel Foley

Axel Foley Member

That’s why I’m here , everyone is much more knowledgeable

komokwa likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, one can make a guess at the age from the frame. (Speaking generally... That's why it's so important to always post photographs of the entire work including frame from both the front and back.) Those mottled green tortoise frames were popular in the late 1970s/early 1980s. Yours is a tourist piece, one that survived the trip home folded in a suitcase, and not the quality one would see a decade or so earlier. Here's the same "rubbing," undated but you can compare detail.

Debora

s-l1600.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  7. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

Your dating of the frame seems right. During the Vietnam War, soldiers were given R&R to meet a family member or sightsee in Hong Kong, Bangkok, Honolulu, etc. Every wife I knew who met her husband in Bangkok brought back touristy temple rubbings, brass dinner flatware, and multi-stone temple rings...all available on eBay today.

kyratango likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm laughing. You're right. "Princess" rings they were called.

Debora

kyratango and Pat Dennis like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am officially on TTR strike, but I agree, no temple was harmed during the making of this picture.;)

For more info on the images used, you can browse through these articles:
    https://thaitemplerubbings.com/articles/

10. Peteypopp

Peteypopp New Member

To continue this thread regarding Thai Wat rubbings. We lived in Bankok 1968-71, and my parents brought home many artifacts, including this large Wat rubbing. I am just wondering if any can provide advice on how to “artfully” preserve the rice paper.

Attached Files:

11. komokwa

is it already glued to some paper backing???

12. komokwa

Draft saved Draft deleted