That castle thing from the cleared room.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by afantiques, Sep 28, 2014.

1. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I did say I post a picture of the odd object lurking in the background of the cleared room, and here it is.

My opinion is that it an amateur concoction made with some carpentry skills, an old French striking movement, a ten inch cylinder musical box workings, and some amateur bodgery to link them all up.

One end of the base has a hole for the winding handle of the musical movement, the other end has the usual stop/start and changes levers.
    The windows are mirrors.

1-P1030787.JPG

1-P1030788.JPG

1-P1030790.JPG

1-P1030791.JPG

1-P1030793.JPG

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Afantiques, a question -- if it does play music what tune/tunes does it play?

3. afantiques

Lord alone knows, I have had it a decade or more and only noticed the winding hole and control levers today. Looking at the cylinder I'd say about 4 or 6 plinky plonky tunes that were popular over 100 years ago, normal musical box fare. I'll try the thing out if I can find or make a key.

4. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Do let us know!

5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I started out saying that I didn't think this song would be the one Afantiques' clock would play.

But, doggoneit, I can't post a YouTube video endorsed by the British Council to teach English to young children.

It was a rendition in a cartoon of "She'll Be Coming Around the Mountain."

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I love it.Makes me long for a house big enough for cool things like this.

7. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I think its awesome :) The detail is neat and all the balconys...the artist put some time into it :cat:

8. afantiques

Well, who knew my laptop could record stuff? I had no idea.

I made a short recording of another musical box as an experiment but don't have much idea where to go from there. I'd like to add a music file to the music thread.

I was planning to share the sound of this Swiss chalet thing if I can get it running.

9. spirit-of-shiloh

When I record something on my PC I upload it to youtube, then I have the link to post here ;)

10. afantiques

Well, it's baffled me. I can make a slideshow but I cannot see how to add my soundtrack of my computer.

11. spirit-of-shiloh

Does it have AVI ??? Thats the video code. I am really dumb when it comes to PC's and stuff but the AVI aka videos are easy to upload to youtube.

12. afantiques

I think I'm getting there. I have to prepare it all first.

13. User 67

User 67 Active Member

I believe this is a miniature German Rathaus, since they usually had a clock these were common enough subjects for the hobby carver, of which there were thousands of throughout Germany.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a specific Rathaus, which may have since been destroyed in the wars.

14. rnwerner

rnwerner New Member

I've seen some Swiss jewelry boxes that were almost identical in form to this .

15. afantiques

It's the classic alpine chalet form. It is a Swiss and West Austrian style, as noted, found in many tourist items. I have not yet had time to find a key and try winding up the music.

16. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

not too sure because the forms of the chalets changed quite a bit in recent years, but the form hints to a classical Chalet Savoyard (form of roof, additional alcove balcony R/H). so the French striking movement makes sense, though the musical stuff might still be Swiss.

17. afantiques

Notice the first floor access for deep snow conditions. Traditionally the cattle lived on the ground floor to heat the place.

Draft saved Draft deleted