Thayer Coggin swivel chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Woblong, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Woblong

Woblong New Member

Chairs are 1970 orginal fabric. Very unique pattern. They swivel and have wooden covers on the metal X frame. I can't find another set like them on the Internet.

I would like to know anything you can tell me. I think they are part of the Milo Baughman collection.

[​IMG]

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Op art.

Debora

3. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

Although they are obviously covered in a different fabric, they look somewhat like the two chairs in the lower right corner of the ad in THIS 1971 magazine (the ad page before pg. 63)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. Woblong

Woblong New Member

So were they designed by Milo Baughman or Verner Panton?

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Found similar chairs with round bases and found this Baughman chair with the same base. Maybe a special variation for a customer?

upload_2016-9-6_8-25-27.png

6. Woblong

Woblong New Member

7. Woblong

Woblong New Member

8. Woblong

Woblong New Member

9. Woblong

Woblong New Member

What do you guys think they are worth?
    They are not in the best condition.

10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

"Not in the best condition" is a problem. I can see a fairly big stain on the front of one just looking over the back. If this was an original fabric, obviously having the fabric is a huge bonus, but if it is too stained to use, puts you in a bit of a quandary.

We don't really give values on this site, but if value will be more if you are near an urban area. If these need a lot of restoration, will definitely hurt the value.

I love this era - thank you for posting and best of luck.

11. Woblong

Woblong New Member

They aren't really stained. The arms rest are super worn and the chairs have holes around these worn parts. I will post more pictures.

12. Woblong

Woblong New Member

13. Woblong

Woblong New Member

14. Woblong

Woblong New Member

15. Woblong

Woblong New Member

I live in Philadelphia.

16. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

It looked discolored from the back, but is just the arms that are very worn, I see what you mean.

In my opinion someone would need to reupholster, unless they've always wanted a set in this exact pattern and could somehow fix the arms, possibly cover with something?

Being near Philly and New York is optimal, but condition is still a huge issue with these.

Enjoyed seeing them. So 70's, amazing they have the original labels and tags.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  17. Woblong

Woblong New Member

Chairs are on eBay, but I think they will sell local.

Draft saved Draft deleted