The “Wizard’s Jug”

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by RE-Chris, Jul 29, 2020.

1. RE-Chris

RE-Chris New Member

I bought the “Wizard’s Jug” at a local Flea Market in 2019 - I really like it, and I’d appreciate any information that you may be able to give me. It’s ca. 23cm high, brown clay with blue/green glaze and some of the clear glaze runs down the brown clay at the back and sides.

A “grotesque” face looks out from the front, wearing a hooded cloak. I cannot see any damage at all, so well looked after... There is a “signature” etched into the base which seems to be French but I haven’t been able to get any luck from my g@@gle searches... As you have probably noticed, I am in no way an expert in ceramics, and therefore would be very grateful for any information /pointers /leads that you are able to give me. Thanks.

PS.I noticed a whiteness in the close-ups of the face, it just sunlight reflection, the face is uniformly brown.
    P7290255x.jpg P7290256x.jpg P7290260x.jpg P7290261x.jpg P7290263x.jpg P7290264x.jpg P7290266x.jpg

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I really like this jug too, I can see why you wanted it.
    Are those plastic eyeballs glued into place?

I cannot figure out what the "owl" (?) has sticking out beneath his beak? What is that?

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The signature was not "etched in." It was scribed into the unfired clay by hand.

I do not see this as being very old at all, maybe 10-20 years at most, maybe even brand new when you bought it. Has a serious "studio pottery" look and could very well have been made nearby to where you bought it. (Studio pottery often does not make it far away from the artist's studio.)

I see you measured in metrics. What country did you find it in?

antidiem likes this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

At first I thought it was a man's face & it was his pugnacious jaw, then I looked again after you called it an 'owl'. . .so perhaps meant to be the crop, except owls don't have a true crop. Instead there is a fusiform enlargement or widening of the esophagus.

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

upload_2020-7-29_17-34-36.png

O'a Bow
    O'a Bay

What state did you find this in?

antidiem likes this.
  6. RE-Chris

RE-Chris New Member

It's a face - that's why I call it the wizards jug. There's no plastic involved at all.

7. RE-Chris

RE-Chris New Member

Good idea - will try that. Very good condition.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted