Featured The Antique Wooden Marquetry Box Just Arrived....

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SYNCHRONCITY, May 16, 2020.

1. SYNCHRONCITY

SYNCHRONCITY Well-Known Member

I made a post about an antique wooden marquetry box that I purchased on Ebay.

I was using the ebay seller's pictures asking if anyone knew where it may have been made?, how old it was?, what kind of wood or woods it was made of? and what kind of box it was:

Original Post:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/a...ooden-marquetry-box.49714/page-2#post-2138912

It just arrived and I took a bunch of photos to show you guys. It did not have it's original key. I actually custom fitted an antique barrel key to fit it and it works in the lock. It has an impressed stamp/mark on it, but I can't make it out. It looks like numbers or initials were stamped/impressed. The knob looks original to the box. Do you guys know more about it? Could this be a Killarney Ware box? A Possible age?

Sorry for all the pictures, but I figured the more detail there is to show, the more it may help you to id it for me. Thanks in advance for all your replies.

BOX WOODEN 1.jpg BOX WOODEN 2.jpg BOX WOODEN 3.jpg BOX WOODEN 4.jpg BOX WOODEN 5.jpg BOX WOODEN 6.jpg BOX WOODEN 7.jpg
    BOX WOODEN 8.jpg BOX WOODEN 010.jpg BOX WOODEN 011.jpg

2. SYNCHRONCITY

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Those are box hinges, designed to keep the lid from folding over completely. Common on boxes of all ages.

Fid, kyratango and SYNCHRONCITY like this.
  4. SYNCHRONCITY

Thanks very much for the info. I was searching on google "how to date antique box hinges, locks and hardware" and couldn't find that info anywhere. I wish there was some sort of guide on how to date these boxes somewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted