The Bells 1881 value

Discussion in 'Books' started by boxmike, Aug 3, 2019.

1. boxmike

boxmike New Member

I have an 1881 edition of The Bells by Edgar Allen Poe. I've done some research online, but I have yet to come across one that looks like mine. Does anyone have any info on this?

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. boxmike

boxmike New Member

Awesome I really appreciate that! I've seen so many different covers, but mine is weird because it's very plushy to the touch.

Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. boxmike

boxmike New Member

Like it's made out of paper, but it's a hard cover.

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4CC0109A-70C4-461D-A57B-D6EB873C6A60.jpeg 5BEB02CD-E578-4C11-B50E-BB14FEBD0004.jpeg 7CA1445F-C7A8-4E54-B0FE-9B3AEACD02AD.jpeg 9EEFBF19-5185-488D-8F28-5EC7E1765D75.jpeg Welcome to the Forum, boxmike! :)
    Check Box for All Full Images, next time. :)

6. boxmike

boxmike New Member

7. komokwa

plushy...i like that ...:)
    maybe a roughed pigskin...

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Looks like Moroccan leather to me, but wdik. Very nice.:)

9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

lovely. not unusual that they were rebound for private libraries of a certain standing and a good sign that it was bought near the date it was issued.

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

2many's partner here, the bookseller. This kind of padded binding was very popular in gifty kinds of books in the late Victorian period. Looks like blindstamped pigskin, which is softer and has less grain than morocco, though it could be calf. It would be over thick felt, or maybe horsehair. The penciled numbers are the original seller's price code. It is the original publisher's binding - there would have been several varieties in differing degrees of 'luxury'. Porter & Coates was active under that name from 1867 to 1895, and published a lot of children's & popular literature, often in these fancy bindings. The materials used were not always of high quality, so they often have not worn well. In my experience, collecting demand is low, but there are always people looking for pretty books by known authors.

sch3gsd, Jivvy, Figtree3 and 6 others like this.
  11. komokwa

"2many's partner here"
    ......... why thank you for that interesting take on this item !

We get books here.....time to time.....so why not get yer own avatar and join up , & join in..??? !!! :happy::happy::happy:

We don't bite.................... Much !! ;) :playful::playful::playful::playful:

Aquitaine, 2manybooks and i need help like this.
  12. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

He says he might, so be careful what you wish for. ;)

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

When I first saw this thread I remembered that I have an old edition of The Bells with a very different cover. Finally went to look for it, and realized it is a reprint edition from a different publisher, John Winston of Philadelphia, Chicago, and Toronto. The copyright page cites Porter & Coates, 1881.

Mine has a sort of art deco design on the cover, so am thinking it probably dates between 1890-1910. I assume the contents are the same as the original Porter & Coates edition. Nice illustrations!

2019-08-21 07.54.59.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    komokwa, Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I meant Nouveau, not Deco. Just realized my mistake.

Ghopper1924, komokwa and i need help like this.
  15. komokwa

Christmas Art Nouveau.....must be a sub section.....:playful::playful::playful:

Ghopper1924, Figtree3 and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted