Featured The black art of dating Art Mark Niloak by color?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by scoutshouse, Oct 27, 2017.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Anyone have a guess? I believe this is first Art Mark, putting it 1910 to 1924... but it'd be nice to find out if anyone has experience with that...

The blue is reading more like green - it's a very nice neutral all around.

Dimensions: 3.25 top width; 6.5 height; 2.25 bottom width - switching it up here: 8" neck diameter; 12.5 diameter widest.

NiloakFull.JPG NiloakMark.JPG NiloakMouth.JPG

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  2. scoutshouse

Originally posted in Textiles, sorry!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    KingofThings likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Contact Bookahtoo or Davey. I believe they can take care of moving it.

scoutshouse and KingofThings like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Deleting Duplicate.

scoutshouse and KingofThings like this.
  5. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

According to Gifford's book, your mark is the First Art Mark and would date between September, 1910 to 1924.

6. scoutshouse

Thanks ascot - I knew it was early, but also read that more could be gleaned by color. This one is more neutral than most I've seen.

(you would not be losing your mind if you went back up and read a more detailed post - I wrote it earlier and lost my way in textiles)

Ghopper1924, ascot and judy like this.
  7. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

You can probably drill down a bit more on the date of your piece. Gifford's book divides the 1910-1924 dates into 3 periods, mostly by color, and shows many examples of the colorations by date in his book. I'm not very good with colors, so I hesitate to go further with a date, but if you can get a copy of Gifford's book (local library?) you could probably get a bit more exact.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Scoutshouse, I LOVE the coloring and patterning in your vase!!!!!! NICE, nice piece!!!!!

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  9. scoutshouse

Thanks, Aquitaine - I still didn't capture the color. It has a bit more green than the milk chocolate I usually see, with a grey/charcoal patina. It has the look of oak cured mission furniture.

@ascot Thanks - the nearest library to me would be Portland - 800+ miles :O

I can order one on ebay for not much, but if you want to take a swing at a general outline?? That'd be cool, but no pressure, thanks.

10. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I wish I could help more to pin down a date. There are many photos in the book that date within the 1910-1924 period. Even with the vase in hand, I'd have a hard time pinning down the date within that range. If you can order the book from Ebay or Amazon at a reasonable price, I'd advise doing that. You'd be the better judge for dating this wonderful piece. Or, you could just send me the vase and I'll do my best to date it and let you know what I think :joyful:.

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  11. scoutshouse

Oh, right! I'll send it right over ;)

I'll check out the book :) have a great week!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    judy and ascot like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted