Featured The Collector/John Fowles

Discussion in 'Books' started by Vintage Maven, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

I found this one this past summer on a visit to a good will store my Mom volunteers some of her time at. I was there to visit her & go for lunch when she was done. I had time to wait for her, so she said to “look around, you might see something you like”. I went over to their bookshelves where there are tonnes of books all in specific categories. This was the second book I spotted.

It’s a 1964 re-print version of the 1963 John Fowles novel The Collector, it is a UK edition. I bought it for the price it had on it of $1. The cover is not exactly mint, but the book itself is nice, not a bad deal for the price.

BC99C87D-A5B5-49CC-90A3-2EE94C107A22.jpeg 76509078-CF4A-4DE2-BE3E-4F8FB7057835.jpeg F404C071-485B-4A8D-8671-9FAE5E1CF036.jpeg

2. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Terrific writer, one of our favourites.

Vintage Maven likes this.
  3. Vintage Maven

❤️

4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Is the Reprint Society the same as what we would call a Book Club edition in the U.S.? Just wondering.

Figtree3 and Vintage Maven like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I love his books... except that particular one is a bit too creepy for me, as I recall.

6. Vintage Maven

That's exactly it @Ghopper1924 it is the UK version.❤Maven

7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

What is the story of this book? :happy:

8. Vintage Maven

12F8050A-B672-4F68-9DC4-B95878F1A673.jpeg

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Figtree3

Do you mean the plot? I think you do mean that, since Vintage Maven already told the story of how she got it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Collector

Google is your friend in this case.

I see Maven just posted similar.

10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Read it as a kid, found it very disturbing, same for the movie...

~Cheryl

Vintage Maven and Figtree3 like this.
  11. antidiem

Interestingly written from 2 perspectives and sounds to be in several "voices" - I am often looking for something obscure but excellent to read. I rediscovered fiction a few years ago! I will keep this one in mind. ;) Thanks Mavin.

Yes!

It's interesting concept of writing style, I would probably like to see such perspective in a movie version, but AFTER I read the book someday! ;)

12. Figtree3

I don't know your taste in books, but I've also read and have liked the following books by John Fowles:

Daniel Martin
    The French Lieutenant's Woman
    (and also the movie version with Jeremy Irons and Meryl Streep. They changed the context and the plot in the movie, but it was still interesting.)
    A Maggot
    The Magus
    Mantissa

The list of his writings also includes The Ebony Tower, a book of novellas and short stories. I know I've also read that but don't remember what I thought.

I read all of these years ago, so whether I would still be as impressed with them today is unknown. ;)

13. antidiem

Oh thanks Fig! I used to read, pretty much, factual stories and I still enjoy those. However, in recent years, I've blown through a lot of fiction authors, and even enjoy reading a classic or vintage novel from time to time. There's not a lot to do in the country.. ;)

Vintage Maven and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted