Featured The Creepy Table (as the kids call it)

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jackie Williams, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Jackie Williams

Jackie Williams New Member

This table may be a butler's table, but we aren't sure. It's at my mother and father in laws, and my mother in law, who adores French decor, loved it. The kids find the faces carved in it creepy, hence the name. This is the only picture I have of it right now, but I am hoping someone here will know more than I have been able to find in my hours of searching about a possible time period, country of origin (from the wood, style, and/or carving) or a direction to go in for more info. When we are there next - which may be awhile - I will scour it for more details, clues, etc. but for now, I'm hoping you all can help ease my inquisitive mind! IMG_1101 (3).JPEG IMG_1100 (3).JPEG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I can't tell you anything about most of your questions, but it's called a butler's table because of the removable tray. And I think it's quite nice.

Welcome, Jackie!

Ghopper1924, Sandra, judy and 7 others like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

French style tray table with caryatid supports. Think this is a mid-century or later example and likely made in Italy.

Ghopper1924, Sandra, judy and 8 others like this.
  4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I agree with @Bakersgma
    AND @verybrad

"Butler's tray"

Very cool and ostentatious - furniture of a scholar :O

Depending on whether the carving is authentic could mean a difference in value.

Those leg or supports are caryatids and the "cherubs" are putti - @Bronwen can correct if I have that wrong (which I have before). Furniture folks can pull it your elements together as a period.

What's the difference between a putti and a cherub?

Screenshot 2018-12-17 18.43.47.png

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Ghopper1924, Sandra, judy and 3 others like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

They are putti, playing at the Triumph of Dionysus, the sort of scene beloved of the 17th century ivory carvers.

upload_2018-12-17_22-5-53.png

van_Opstal.jpg

The figures on the legs are a bit like Sirens as well as like caryatids. If the kids have known the table since they were too small to see the top & were coming eye to eye with the ladies of the legs, I can see how they found it creepy.

Ghopper1924, Sandra, judy and 4 others like this.
  6. scoutshouse

Is that a sharpei?? or...?

Those kids are punks!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Ghopper1924, Sandra, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. Bronwen

It's a panther carved by someone who would never have seen one & may have thought the coat was more like a goat's since goats also frequently feature in such scenes.

Duquesnoy-François-Bacchanalian-infants-playing-with-a-goat-c1650-70-ivory-relief-V&A-Flemish.jpg

And you think that group are punks? A little later, when the drinking is well underway:

Duquesnoy-François-Bacchanalian-infants-playing-with-grapes-c1650-70-ivory-relief-V&A-Flemish.jpg

bluumz, Ghopper1924, Sandra and 3 others like this.
  8. scoutshouse

Lions and tigers were often depicted as furry rag dolls, as well...

9. Bronwen

@Jackie Williams Hope you looked at the site enough before signing up to know that such digressions are just our way of doing things. Our principal furniture guru, verybrad, has already weighed in on the fundamentals, the rest of get to play. :)

10. Jackie Williams

A huge thank you to all! I love the banter!! We’ve wondered about this table for so long, it’s nice to know more about it!

11. Jackie Williams

How would one know if the carving is authentic? Since it’s a recent replica per @verybrad I’m guessing it’s not???

Ghopper1924, Bronwen and scoutshouse like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

There are still very good carvers in Italy.
    The caryatids look carved to me, but I guess scouts was referring to the putti. I can't tell through the glass, but I see no reason why a scene like that couldn't have been carved in the mid 20th century.

There was already decorative wood molding in the 19th century, btw, maybe even earlier.

Ghopper1924, Bronwen and scoutshouse like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Bronwen, you and your inebriated toddlers.:rolleyes: Totally irresponsible, but I love it.:hilarious:

bluumz, Ghopper1924, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  14. scoutshouse

If my family had a mysterious table such as this laying around for years, I wouldn't find this thread digressive! :)

Maybe you could take a picture of the underside, bottoms of the "feet" and closeup of the tableax, @Jackie Williams?

And welcome!

15. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

fun bacchanal putti!

16. Jackie Williams

New photos!! Checking to see if this upload method works....if so, I have more :) Eager to heat your banter....hand carved? Potential source country? Etc...

IMG_1110.jpg IMG_1109.jpg IMG_1108.jpg IMG_1107.jpg IMG_1105.jpg IMG_1103.jpg IMG_1104.jpg IMG_1102.jpg

Ghopper1924, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  17. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Creepy Table (as the kids call it)

YIKES! I am goin with the kids on this one

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Jackie Williams

Just checking back in. I posted some additional pictures. I’m hoping someone can give us some guidance as to a price range if we opt to list it. We’ve now lived with the putti for over a year (surprisingly well behaved)...may be time for them to move on...

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

I am so glad to hear that. They can be a menace, believe me.:cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted