Featured The "expert has spoken"

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by popsycat, Jan 10, 2021.

1. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

On bargain hunt today, The "expert" Danny Sebastian bought a bronze inkwell. He told the contestants "bronze is the poor man's silver" Next time you are on a guided tour of an historic home or museum and a fabulous bronze worth millions is pointed out, feel free to say "what a pity they could'nt afford a silver version" On another show which I watched for a few minutes, people bring items for dealers to bid on. Someone had a small modern piece of Lalique to sell. One of the dealers said "It is just marked Lalique. If it had been marked R.Lalique that would have been the earlier mark meaning Renoir Lalique"

kyratango, Fid, Ghopper1924 and 6 others like this.
  2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Danny seems more MCM DelBoy.
    The experts often do buy some miserable stuff as a bonus buy.

popsycat and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. popsycat

Any Jewelry and Houseful like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Years ago I was watching a show where "experts" helped people clean out their attic, ID and price the items for sale. They came on some glass dishes and goblets and the expert called it "palmetto carnival glass".

It was not carnival and I did find "palmetto" with a quick search as a cutting by various makers. Even with no close up photos I could see it was Trojan, an acid etch pattern made by Fostoria.

No one can know everything, the smartest expert is one who says "I'm not sure what this is, we need to check with someone who would know.". Of course, that wouldn't make the TV show's producers happy :rolleyes:

5. popsycat

Marie, the problem I have had in the past is people quoting them to disagree with something I have told them. For a lot of people, once they hear the "expert" say it on the telly, then it is true.

kyratango, patd8643, Fid and 2 others like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I watched a few of those “we’ll help you clean out your attic” shows a long time ago!!! For the most part, they made me so angry....I may not have known something’s real value, but I sure wouldn’t have let them anywhere near MY ATTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

kyratango, Fid, popsycat and 2 others like this.
  7. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I have heard the saying that 'solder is the cheap man's bronze' but never about bronze!

kyratango, popsycat and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Bronze-painted pot metal is the poor man's bronze. Danny is the poor man's expert when it comes to really old stuff, sounds like. I remember catching some older reruns of Bargain Hunt on Youtube and seeing some of the bonus buys Charles would haul in. Money losers one and all, and eventually the punters caught on and never opted for his stuff. At least the ones I saw didn't.

popsycat likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Don't get me started. Especially on glass.

Houseful, popsycat and bercrystal like this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

11. popsycat

One of the "experts"on bargain hunt was describing a piece of glass as Monart. I was shouting "It is not Monart" Then there is the "expert" we shall forever call "klitchy" as that is how he pronounced Clichy when looking at a paperweight.

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Oh, don't. That and Whitefriars or Murano as terms. ARG.

popsycat likes this.
  13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I remember seeing that show, I haven't seen it on our cable system in many years. Seems like I haven't missed anything ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted