The First and Last Journey Of HMS Victory Etching by W.L.Wyllie & Harold Wyllie, 1922

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg I found these at Goodwill for $10. The one with the broken glass, the glass wasn't broken when I bought it. It was a rough ride home.

A pressed plate, hand coloured etching depicting 'The first and last journey of HMS. Victory’ after W.L. Wyllie, engraved by his son Harold Wyllie. It was published by Robert Dunthorne & Son in 1922, with the aim of profits going to raise funds to help preserve and restore the Victory and move the ship to a permanent dry dock in Portsmouth.

The etching depicts the first journey of the famous HMS Victory in 1778.

The ship is shown under sail with gun ports open, at least nine other warships of the fleet may also be seen, along with two other vessels on the horizon and a long boat in the foreground.

Underneath the etching the piece is named, with a description that reads “This plate is respectfully dedicated by permission to the Right Honourble Earl Beatty, Admiral of the fleet, G.C.B.,O.M.,D.S.O, && C. by his most obedient servants, Robt Dunthrone & Son”.

KingofThings likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Assuming those to be the original etchings, you got a very good buy there. Because of the quality of the rendering and the historical content, prints like these can be expected to retain interest over time.

afantiques and KingofThings like this.
  3. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

Yes, they are original etchings. It's crazy at what people give away. I had a customer stop me when I picked them up and said they were jealous that I got them first. The first thing that caught my eye, was the beautiful coloring on these pieces.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Alec Sutton

Alec Sutton Active Member

From outward appearance I believe these are hand colored restrikes from the original (probably steel-faced) plates. An old English firm, Thomas Ross Ltd., specializes in issuing prints from their impressive store of old plates.

The level of workmanship is high. Ross uses only traditional methods. $10 is a good price. Each Journey of Victory currently sells new for about $125.-150.

There's very little doubt in my mind that these are Ross restrikes, but seeing them out of the frame could confirm.

Regrettably the restrikes, while attractive, have no established value on the antique prints market.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. CarolAustin

CarolAustin New Member

Alec, I know this was an old post, but I am hoping you will see it and answer. I am sure I am not the only one wondering how you can tell the difference between the originals and the restrikes. I, too, picked up a nicely framed copy of "The Last Journey" at a thrift store; at $3.99, I am obviously happy with whichever it is, but would very much like to know more. Thanks so much for any hints or help!

KingofThings likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Alec was last seen on this site May 11 2015......

Just click on a persons avatar to see when they were last on this site....

That said.....you get high marks from me for knowing that the thread is VERY old...& you may yet get an answer...as well !!! :happy::happy:

7. CarolAustin

CarolAustin New Member

Thanks, komokwa! I'm looking forward to following lots of the threads here.

Figtree3, komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  8. Haley Holmes

Haley Holmes New Member

I have the original "Victory of 1922"- I'm sorry

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Sorry for what?
    The original would be way cool.......but we're talking about etchings here.
    :(:(

Draft saved Draft deleted