Featured The GREATEST Sterling Silver Thrift Store Find EVER???

Discussion in 'Silver' started by vitry-le-francois, Mar 6, 2023.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

...at least for me!

1swan16.jpg 6swan6.jpg 7swan5.jpg 4swan9.jpg 3swan10.jpg 5swan8.jpg 2swan14.jpg We all know that finding sterling silver in a thrift store is rare (except for Mr. Nate--silver FOLLOWS him!). Yes, it can be found but, as I said, it's not common!

I came across this lovely swan at my local thrift store and to my shock, it has a set of hallmarks on the back. I didn't have my magnifier at the time but for only $7.99, I took a chance on it.

Much to my delight, the hallmarks on the back APPEAR to be sterling silver. Please have a look-see and let me know. It appears to be solid and weighs a hefty 420 delicious grams!

Any idea who made this? The retailer sticker is on the bottom. THANKS!

MrNate, kyratango, Rayo56 and 6 others like this.
  2. silvermakersmarks

silvermakersmarks Well-Known Member

Your swan is not solid silver. It is constructed with a resin basin and a skin of silver. This is shown by the letter R in a square which stands for riempito (filled). The mark next to the R will identify the maker.

Phil

3. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

well...that's depressing! LOL thanks for the info :)

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it was a good gamble.......& a learning experience..:happy:

5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

It's still a deliciously sculpted bird & a very sane gamble-just don't eat the damn thing (bout the size of a game hen ?).
    PS- @silvermakersmarks would you know how thick that skin of silver would be ?

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Phi
    Phil, If you can, would you clarify for me & others the nature of the work of Henryk Winograd? Marked 'HW999', I see his jewellery described both as solid silver & as repoussé. Doubt the former very much; if the latter, it has been filled in to add weight. Or are they heavy plating of fine silver over a molded impression taken in resin, plaster or some such? Do you know what the process was for something like this Perseus?

Henryk Winograd Perseus.jpg

bluumz, kyratango and ulilwitch like this.
  8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Still Beautiful and a nice buy at 7.99$ just as is........

9. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

If I read that site correctly, the resin can make up no more than 25% of the total weight. Wouldn't that mean that the swan contains quite a lot of silver? Or am I misreading?

Edit...nevermind. I think I understand my mistake. Putty can't be more than 25%, and the precious metal is a thin sheet.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    Bronwen likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I call it sterling silver tinfoil, when it comes to American "weighted" silver pieces. That means all but a tiny portion of the weight is anything except silver.

11. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Nice finish here... upload_2023-3-7_9-39-5.png

Lucille.b and komokwa like this.
  12. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

"This is an electro-formed bird filled with bonded porcelain and plated with a minimum of 100 microns of fine silver.
    It is therefore eligible to carry Sterling Silver hallmarks from an independent assay office"...precious metals can be strange beasts.
    PS-I'm not signing any contract drawn-up by this guy.

komokwa likes this.
  13. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Wynograd stuff was a thin sheet of pure silver beaten into a mold. Most are then filled with plaster. Some (very few) were filled with molten sterling.

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Thank you for that. Do you know whether pieces that actually are solid silver were marked differently in any way? I just bump into the pendants & pins because of my interest in cameos. Guessing none of those are solid, for all sellers would like to believe they are.

bercrystal likes this.
  15. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

It's beautiful, and it's a beautiful thrift store find. I think you should feel very good with your purchase (of course it would be better if it was solid silver, but who cares). I imagine the thrill you must have felt, just hold on to that feeling and find it again. And I chuckled reading your post :) :) :)

Don't worry if others think it's a dud, because at the end of the day I think the hunting is the most fun, and it is a beautiful item. (GOD I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MANY SILVERPLATED THINGS I'VE BOUGHT....IT'S A LOT)

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  16. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The only telling I know of would be the weight
    Plaster much lighter

Lucille.b and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted