The Modern Dutch Poster

Discussion in 'Give Aways' started by aaroncab, Sep 9, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Opening this one up to anyone, anywhere! I'll cover shipping. This book contains over 100 color reproductions of Dutch posters from 1890-1940. Some really beautiful images in here. I have too many "coffee table" books and although I love this one, I do have to make some room. I'll draw names on Thursday if there are multiple takers :)

~

30692880528_e177c7b6a9_k.jpg 42754100650_0533ff4a9a_k.jpg 42754098740_6eb4408beb_k.jpg 29625167347_1fc85a1096_k.jpg 43844820754_e94c5096d4_k.jpg 30692878818_bd2d937722_k.jpg

2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

What a BEAUTIFUL book aaroncab !!! I'll have to defer on this one though as I'm SWAMPED with books myself .. it's a lovely give-away and I wish everyone 'Good Luck' !!! ... Joy.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I love it! Please put my name in the hat!

4. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

My wife being Dutch, and the fact we live in a Dutch town. I have to put my name in the hat too!!

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Aaron.
    And beautiful examples of old Dutch spelling and language. The fly poster for instance, still has the word 'gij' -literally 'thou'- which was still used in formal Dutch at the time. Nowadays it is only used in dialects, like the dialect of the region where I live.

6. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

When Mr. Jivvy and I moved we got rid of thousands of books.

We have thousands left. We have no room for them.

And yet... no, no. Do not put me in the mix. But it is a beauty!

Christmasjoy, sabre123 and aaroncab like this.
  7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Superb, Aaron. Always refreshing to see non-computer generated artwork/illustrations. The selected samples are quite nice.

As much as I'd love to have it, I've got too many design / art books and magazines to give it a proper home.

Very generous of you to offer. Good luck all!

8. aaroncab

AJ - what a wonderful observation about the language. :)

Here are a few more images to temp would be takers :

44557661262_9d9dfce4e3_k.jpg 43888666264_7dd8ab3e24_k.jpg 43888665604_c34d83c0fd_k.jpg 44607963071_d19555796f_k.jpg 43888666954_322ce3d7e6_k.jpg

9. Any Jewelry

You had to go and do that, didn't you.:rage::) Ok, I'm in, I searched Dutch sites and can't find it here.
    I will pay for shipping to the Netherlands.

It has some of my favourite designers, Roland Holst, fellow Dutch Indonesian Jan Toorop, and others. The Toorop one (for Pandora) shows the Javanese Wayang influence which is typical for his work. He was one of the most influential artists of his time.

The Philips one is by Louis Kalff, who also designed this 60s building, the Evoluon, iconic for my town:
    [​IMG]

Philips used to have innovative technology exhibits there, also for kids, we always loved going there. The inside:
    [​IMG]

For those of you who know the German electronic music pioneers Kraftwerk, they love the Evoluon too:
    [​IMG]

Willem Arondeus, the designer of the last one you posted, was a Dutch Resistance hero and Gay Rights activist, executed by the Nazis in 1943.
    He was one of the people who took part in a bomb attack on the registration office for Dutch Jews. Before he was executed he wrote that dying wouldn't be difficult, because love would prevail.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Beautiful! I am not in this time, but tempted.

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am tempted also. The large fly poster caught my attention. When I was in Amsterdam in the 1970s a lot of mens bathrooms had a small fly painted on the bottom of urinals. Hopefully guys directed their streams towards the fly and not everywhere else.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

12. Christmasjoy

Thank You AJ .. Your words touched my heart .. Joy.

kyratango, Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

They were his words, but I thought them important enough to repeat. It is amazing when you read some of the things people in similar situations wrote, such wisdom and such true heart.

Sandra, Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  14. Christmasjoy

Yes, and his words are beautiful .. I really meant to say Thank You for posting them :) .. From the heart captures ones very soul .. and Love must always prevail .. Joy.

15. aaroncab

Just spun the wheel of complete randomness and...

dutchposter.JPG

AJ is the winner :) I'm happy it's having a homecoming of sorts! PM me your shipping address - we'll talk about shipping - I don't plan on taking any of your money!

16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Congratulations, AJ!

17. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

18. Any Jewelry

Aaron, I'm sooo happy.:happy::happy::happy: I just sent you a message.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. aaroncab

[​IMG]

AJ - I don't see your conversation / PM. I sent you one. If you don't see mine, then perhaps something is wrong with the conversations feature right now.

20. Any Jewelry

Aaron, I received yours. I think I may have forgotten to hit the start button.:banghead::banghead::shame::shame::sorry::rolleyes:
    I love your happy dance.:happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted