Featured The Mystery of the Harding Shawl

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by oldtimerscloset, Aug 9, 2019.

1. oldtimerscloset

oldtimerscloset New Member

Alright, folks, I've got a mystery on my hands that I'm hoping someone can help with. I managed to get my hands on this Harding Shawl this week and was trying to date it using the Barry Friendman guide to dating Indian Blankets. While the label is faded, there are some elements that are pretty clear and it looks to be the postage stamp style with the Made By beneath Beaver State, which according to Barry's guide would date the blanket from 1915-1922. Here's the mysterious part, though--the Harding blanket/shawl/robe wasn't rolled out until Harding's visit to Oregon in 1923. Did I managed to get my hands on a prototype? Did I go to an estate sale for one of Harding's ancestors? Is this the original Harding Shawl? (Just kidding about the last part--I'd expect that is probably in a library somewhere)
    PB1.jpg PB2.jpg

Attached Files:

• PB3.jpg
      PB3.jpg
      File size:
      270.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Is it a generic Pendelton label? Or did they design a label just for the Harding Shawl?

3. oldtimerscloset

It's the Beaver State label. As far as I know there wasn't a specific label for the Harding line.

i need help, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Bookahtoo

Mightn't they have been using up their old labels before using the new ones, rather than throwing them away? If so, I think yours must be a very early Harding blanket.

5. oldtimerscloset

That's what I'm thinking as well.

i need help, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Harding as in President Harding? Never heard of a Harding Shawl.

7. Bookahtoo

It's a pattern from Pendelton Woolen Mills.

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

From the Pendleton website:

"In 1923, President Warren Harding and his wife Florence came west to dedicate a portion of the old Oregon Trail. At the ceremony, local chiefs presented the first lady with a Pendleton shawl inspired by our famous Chief Joseph blanket. This dynamic design was an instant hit and remains in production today."

The bolded part indicates the pattern was in production prior to 1923... it's just that the pattern became known as the Harding pattern after 1923 due to the gift of the shawl. (Another source stated the pattern name went into use in 1926)
    And I agree with your "postage stamp" label dating. Beautiful blanket, I'd love to see a photo of the whole thing! Since it's fringed, it's likely a shawl as you say. The fringing technique is also much nicer that what's seen in later years. What are the measurements? (Just curious.)
    "Trade blanket manufacturers refer to fringed blankets as shawls and non-fringed blankets as robes." -per BF's website

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

11. oldtimerscloset

It's difficult to get a full shot as it is large--coming in at 83"X78" with the fringing, but is in amazing shape considering it's nearly 100 years old.

Figtree3 and bluumz like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Draft saved Draft deleted