Featured The new collection begins!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Jun 13, 2019.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I think it was mostly luck that I just took my collection in for auction, but I had a wonderful hunting day today. In total I got 7 new pieces to start out my collection again. The first item I found was a sterling silver base, I haven't identified the maker. Later on in the day, I found a large spoon with a mark I hadn't seen before so I took a gamble. It tests as silver but I still haven't identified the maker. In the same store I grabbed the weighted candle holder. But the end of my day was my favorite part. I took a gamble a week ago with someone selling a big bag of plated silverware. I didn't see any of the items marked as silver, but it looked like a promising gamble. After I sorted through the pile, I found 6 gorham spoons. Enjoy the photos and I'm glad this site works again!

IMG_1419.JPG IMG_1420.JPG IMG_1421.JPG IMG_1422.JPG IMG_1423.JPG IMG_1424.JPG IMG_1425.JPG IMG_1426.JPG IMG_1427.JPG

Figtree3, cxgirl, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

...and so it begins.

cxgirl, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

cxgirl, judy, MrNate and 1 other person like this.
  4. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed, Nate. I think that's it! (Yet another of those small companies that few of us remember!)

MrNate, cxgirl and judy like this.
  6. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Doing more research, appears to be marseille pattern but lots of sites have it as plated. I scraped like five different times in the same place on the testing stone and it kept showing red from the acid test. I guess I’ll look some more and maybe test it again tomorrow.

cxgirl and judy like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It's the Smith mark and Marseilles (issued 1904.) It is plated and only tests as sterling because it was plated well - and with sterling sufficient to give you a positive result in testing stone. No indication in any responsible reference that they ever made items in sterling.

There is really no need to test it again - unless you get deep enough to expose the base metal - and that wouldn't be rational.

komokwa and MrNate like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, so true:) great scores Mr Nate!

MrNate likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted