The one that got away.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Sep 21, 2020.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

E7841B53-82FF-41DA-BA06-58B4AC329443.jpeg 889B688D-1317-4565-8355-854BEEAADAB5.jpeg 678D56B7-4905-4810-A870-619E88814F14.jpeg A nearby auction had a mixed lot of ceramics in today’s sale. The estimate was £20-£30
    I spotted a very interesting plate which had the mark of Mastro Giorgio of Gubbio.

The mark was similar to the one in the Cushion book so I thought I’d have a gamble on it.

if genuine it could be worth thousands despite being repaired.

Sadly I wasn’t alone in spotting it and another bidder took it to £600. I dropped out at that point as I wasn’t confident enough to go into the thousands and wouldn’t be popular at home if I did.

What do you think of the mark? I was confident enough to risk £550 but no more.

CheersDears and anundverkaufen like this.
  2. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Did the master Giorgio Gubbio used different markings within the same year? I see different marking for 1525 in the Manual of Marks on Pottery book. 2607C846-4B1C-4D24-9FBD-B34DE69F05E2.jpeg

charlie cheswick likes this.
  3. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Hard to tell without seeing the whole plate John

But the Sig ain't an exact match for one, sloppyer details

From what I can see of the plate, I'd worry about that fresh yellow as well, looking at his other pieces

Who would put a piece like that in a mixed lot, his other stuff is breathtaking

John Brassey likes this.
  4. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Style of plate sig seems to be used after 1532, not earlier. A good copy, perhaps. Maybe it’s better that you did not buy it. I think there is another on internet similar to this, at least it resembles what’s visible on your photo. :sorry:

John Brassey likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even have known it was supposed to be a copy of anything good. The sideboard they're sitting on is another matter. Not ancient, but try and find that wood now.

John Brassey likes this.
  6. John Brassey

There's a funny story about that sideboard but I will save it for a week or two.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I hope it was loaded with silver that the auctioneer didn't find until after the deal was done!

John Brassey likes this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I'd steer clear, the last 16thc piece of Italian majolica I owned had rim chips that were the colour of ginger snaps. OLD! One thing you have to say about this old stuff is that apart from the decoration, the rest looks REALLY old.
    Just my opinion if course!

9. John Brassey

Yes. On reflection I think I saved myself an expensive mistake. There were a few other good items in the lot but not £500 worth

charlie cheswick likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted