Featured The waiting was the hardest part today

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Nov 25, 2019.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Well, today turned out to be a truly amazing day, and when the day began I couldn't have guessed it. Where to begin...

So last night I was doing my usual online hunting, and stumbled across a listing that was a no-brainer for me. It was a bin of flatware, a couple bowls etc. But the item that jumped out to me was a beaten up compote, and I felt very confident that was going to be weighted sterling...It was that first clue that led me to something more.

On the particular site I'm looking on, there's an easy way to see all the items a particular seller is offering. So I searched them, and I saw they were listing some flatware also (a small set) and based on that info I contacted them last night to see if I could buy both items...Here's where the waiting was excruciating.

I was waiting until late last evening, when finally the seller contacted me and said it was all still available. It was too late to pick it up, so I'd have to wait until the morning. I offered my contact info and told the person that I would definitely show up in the morning and buy the two listings.

So the morning comes, and I head to the general area where the person lives. I figure while I'm waiting I'll head to the local thrift store. My goodness I'm glad I did, because sitting there in plain view (and to be honest, to me it almost looked like stainless steel) is this ridiculous, heavy, beautiful 720 gram 95% silver bowl by K. UYEDA, for $5!!

Now I'm not greedy (although it may appear so) and that score alone is one of my best for the year. But I was wishing so hard that I'd get to close the other deal. The short version: no communication in the morning, or early afternoon, and finally when I'm almost done from work I get a call, we arrange a time, and I complete a second huge score of the day. Total for everything in the photos: $45

IMG_2653.JPG IMG_2654.JPG IMG_2655.JPG IMG_2656.JPG IMG_2657.JPG IMG_2658.JPG IMG_2660.JPG IMG_2661.JPG IMG_2662.JPG IMG_2663.JPG

antidiem, cxgirl, judy and 11 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& the fun never stops !!!!! Yay Mr N8 !!!!

Christmasjoy, cxgirl, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

@MrNate - What - no one bought you lunch?

Christmasjoy, judy and MrNate like this.
  4. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Someone brought me lunch, does that count ;)

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Another interesting adventure with a great result! Congrats!

Christmasjoy, cxgirl, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's a score all the way around!

7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Well done, Nate!

8. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

I would love to know what goodwill your going to! all the ones here anymore sell anything decent online and it never makes it on the floor.:cigar::cigar::cigar:
    Great finds BTW!!!

9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

You are an inspiration, MrNate, stories like yours keep me going!

10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I love that the price sticker covered what is clearly a silver mark, what were they thinking?????

11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

congrats Mr Nate, nice lot of silver there:)

Christmasjoy and MrNate like this.
  12. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone, I love sharing on this site with all of you!

Christmasjoy, judy and cxgirl like this.
  13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you for sharing them Mr Nate:) Seeing all the fabulous pieces you find I now look more closely at items:)

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I go, I look, I find ... chrome. There was a cute little dish today, but it was marked 90 instead of 900 or 925. :oops::oops::oops: Sterling does show up ... about twice a year. Maybe.

15. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Sorry there isn't more! I've found that my method to search online works consistently. In the near future I'll have to move from my current location so I'm a bit relieved that I might still have the chance to find silver online.

16. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Hey Bluumz, what is the painting in your avatar? I bought a somewhat similar looking painting over the weekend and know nothing about it. Is yours a well known piece? Maybe mine is inspired by it...

Christmasjoy, kyratango and judy like this.
  17. J Dagger

Insane score! I often wonder what happens to the sterling that does come in to the thrift stores in my area. I know it comes in. I know most of the goodwills sell it online but some of the stores don’t have an online presence. Maybe the employees take it home? The employees at your stores don’t even bother glimpsing it seems.

18. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelangelo_Maestri

:)

19. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

@J Dagger
    I'd love to see the painting you bought! I have four of the Hours. Mine are antique, gouache over etching/engraving.

20. J Dagger

I’ll show it to you sometime soon! Don’t have one and I’m out of town. It’s not one of these six but I’m guessing inspired by that style. It’s a lady in similar dress kind of floating against a black background. So unless that was a popular subject matter outside of Maestri that must be it. Nothing below her though like in these six hours paintings.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted