Theodore Haviland Limoges 1903-1910 Pieces

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by CTPaul, Feb 7, 2018.

1. CTPaul

CTPaul New Member

Hello all,

I recently came into possession of some Theodore Haviland Limoges. When I tried to identify the logo/period I came up with the 1903 range... the pattern... Holy Schnikeys Batman !! I was overwhelmed by the volume of patterns available... tens of thousands... I looked though as many as I could find on-line, ebay, etsy, etc... but no luck, so now I'm turning to the forums in hope that someone may know something about the pieces that I have... (They certainly need a good hand washing, only 1 chipped oval piece)

Thank you in advance for any information you could help me find.
    Respectfully,
    Paul in CT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Paul! A lot of dinnerware from Haviland (and other prolific makers of the day) had no "name" just a pattern number. Is there anything like a number on the bottom?

I'm also curious how you decided on a 1903 date. I would not have guessed that early based on the decor. (Admittedly I am no expert.)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. CTPaul

CTPaul New Member

I used a page from a PDF that I got at: http://www.havilandcollectors.com/

[​IMG]

I then saw a few other references that date it to earlier (1903 range) Looks like the Theodore was only underlined for a few years at the turn of the century... but this is pretty new to me... No numbers that I could find any where...

Sorry I forgot into include this shot: [​IMG]

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Huh? If I'm reading correctly, that puts set well into Edwardian era, a date which appears to align with decoration.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. CTPaul

CTPaul New Member

I purchased all of these pieces @ Goodwill for $27.00 - I'm thinking I did ok and should at lease make my money back... :-P

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I'm still a bit confused on the date. If I'm reading the chart right it should be 1914. Anyway, most Theodore Haviland patterns did not have names. There is guy on the Facebook Haviland & Limoges ID, Show and Tell page that is really good at IDing patterns. If it does have a pattern name he would know.

Donate the chipped plates, saucers, platters etc. unless it's a covered tureen, butter dish, or sugar bowl. If you're selling on-line you will do best by breaking up the set and selling the items in groups such as 4 dinner plates or 3 cups and saucers. You won't find many folks willing to buy the whole set. If you're selling in a booth keep the set together. Another dealer will buy it to sell it later by the piece.

You should make your money back on the sugar and creamer alone but it can take awhile to sell. The right folks needing those items in this pattern could take some time to find your listing. Highlight the pink roses in your title as their are a number of buyers in Asia who really love Haviland with pink roses. Good luck!
    Don

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Don, I'm seeing the 1903 date. Notice Theodore is underlined.
    upload_2018-2-7_12-16-58.png

From the site CT linked It's the decorator's mark.
    upload_2018-2-7_12-18-32.png

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

Agreed.
    You will realize more money that way.
    Selling on line as a complete set, the postage will be very expensive as it will weigh at least 20 pounds plus. People consider the postage as part of the cost.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thanks, cluttered but the chart the OP provided above says 1914. To further complicate issues Gaston lists this mark as C. 1904 to mid 1920's. It's a bit irrelevant anyway since most Haviland collectors go by pattern or shape and not date. If listing I'd just go with early 1900's or first quarter of the 20th century. For most of my listings I don't even try to find the date because it just doesn't seem to matter to the buyers.
    Don

10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Nice job, bercrystal!
    Don

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

Don - you're right. I missed that on what the OP posted. I went to the link.
    See, I told you I can't read.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted