Featured There are AT LEAST TWO ANTIQUE ITEMS in this basket!!!!! :))

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi all!! Didn't want to mess up @journeymagazine's thread with my basket full of mostly black hand made (I think) dolls, but there are a couple of antique items in the basket as well. I believe Mom must have bought it sometime around '86, which probably means on the Cape, but NOT sure and NO receipt to be found. She put them in an old basket she had and lined it with antique fabric from a shipwreck off Block Island (this I know to be true!!!)....but the whole thing I think is adorable and someone went to A LOT of work making all of these dolls....they all have bloomers on, btw, 'cept for the one boy....he's wearing pants!! There are also 4 side pockets in the basket that I found loose various thing inside....the last little ceramic doll I can NEVER remember what you call them....she's only 2" tall!! So here goes....11 images so hope they all post here!! Well, they didn't, so, two below. BTW, the first image, on the left, has one topsy turvy doll mix!!! At least that's what I think I remember they were called!!

zzzzzBASKET OF BABIES 1.jpg zzzzzBASKET OF BABIES 2.jpg zzzzzBASKET OF BABIES 3.jpg zzzzzBASKET OF BABIES 4.jpg zzzzzBASKET OF BABIES 5.jpg zzzzzBASKET OF BABIES 6.jpg zzzzzBASKET OF BABIES 8.jpg zzzzzBASKET OF BABIES 9.jpg zzzzzBASKET OF BABIES 7.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  2. Aquitaine

The two small quilts that were in the bottom of the basket.....the black men I do not believe is old, but looks like it is tea stained to look old or some such.....it's still neat. Back is plain...21" x 29". The 1 1/4" small squares small quilt is I believe old, crooked as all get out....17" x 25.5"....

zzzzzSMALL QUILT 1.jpg zzzzzSMALL QUILT 2.jpg

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Frozen Charlotte?

kyratango, antidiem, Sandra and 3 others like this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

That's what they're known as.

Aquataine.......Your adorable black dolls are a perfect example of dolls made with love and sense of pride.

Love the quilts.

Any of the collection could've been made by either a white or black person. They remind me of what might have been, and/or still found today in quality touristy shops or shows.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Frozen Charlotte for sure. I identify more with Pearl, who has brought home another cat. I wanted to be a crazy cat lady when I grew up. The crazy part happened.

kyratango, Bronwen, antidiem and 5 others like this.
  6. Aquitaine

THANK you Bronwen!!!!!........NOW all I have to do is PLANT that within the brain cells!!!!!!!

kyratango, Bronwen, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Aquitaine, kyratango, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Aquitaine, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Whomever made the Uncle Sam quilt also followed the pattern colors.

The little porcelain doll looks something like the (newer) made in China king cake babies, although I suspect yours was made in Japan pre-1970s.

11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

In rereading your description, I see the fabric lining of the basket is antique, what is the other antique item in the picture, Sue? :cat:

12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Not that it matters value wise, but that doll is considered stone bisque. You are correct in that it probably was made in Japan.

The 2nd link shows a group of stone bisque dolls....none of them jointed, but they are not listed as frozen Charlotte dolls.

Molded, unjointed dolls, china or bisque, are referred to as frozen Charlottes, but not all of them are. It has become a term used on dolls without joints.

You can google frozen Charlotte to find the story told about her and her companion Charlie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.carolfoster.net/dolls/product/3-25-3-38-set-of-6-stone-bisque-figurines/

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    komokwa, kyratango and i need help like this.
  13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I never would've guessed the quilted figures to represent Uncle Sam! What a wonderful piece of information INH!

14. Brenda Anna

Brenda Anna Well-Known Member

I especially love Pearl!

judy, komokwa, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  15. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

SWEEEEET things! I love the writen tags with each doll :)
    Pearl brought home another cat is a must have ;)

judy, SBSVC, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  16. Aquitaine

@antidiem, the other mini quilt is definitely IMHO antique for one, and one of those three brass hooks belonged to my mother's grandmother! Lucky me gets to figure out which one!!:) The thimble, I have no clue if it's old or not!!! Didn't even know it was in there before!!!

antidiem, judy, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  17. Aquitaine

View attachment 157417 View attachment 157418
    @INH, I had NO idea!!!! I had just kept that whole collection tucked away and never researched it!!! Thank you for finding that on that mini quilt!!!! Now I have to go check and see if mine is stamped, although I don't remember seeing one (but I also wasn't looking for a stamp!!)

antidiem, judy and i need help like this.
  18. i need help

I’ve just been researching, Pea Ridge also tea-stained.

antidiem and Aquitaine like this.
  19. i need help

Aquitaine, antidiem and judy like this.
  20. Aquitaine

I saw that!!!!! So, apparently all of those are 1986, which is also the date on those dolls! Cool!

antidiem, judy and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted