Featured There go my dreams of a brown furniture revival,,,

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by AmericanGeode, Aug 6, 2019.

1. AmericanGeode

AmericanGeode Well-Known Member

2. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Haven't gotten to the news yet, but that article -- which wasn't news to us -- is the most depressing thing we've read all day...

3. AmericanGeode

Read it twice and it may qualify as style of self-flagellation.

4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Was at a reseller's mall on Sunday and a good 50% of the booths were filled with shabby chic furniture and other trendy junk - It was terrible. This millennial will be keeping his antique brown furniture and possibly be scooping up some deals if the piece and price are right.

5. AmericanGeode

Bravo millennial. Thank you.

6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Super depressing. Tired of it all.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’ve suggested before, slap a USB port on it, they will give it a second glance, at least. :hilarious:

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It’s all just a little bit of history repeating ! Our parents wanted mid century mod because they hated their grandparents antiques. It’s a sad time for handmade wonderful things, but I’m convinced it will swing around again,maybe not in our lifetimes. I often wish I had a warehouse and the money to scoop up all the gorgeous stuff going begging. Id show you a hoarder !

Ghopper1924, komokwa, judy and 4 others like this.
  9. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agrees, it's a buyers market but, these things go in cycles, just like everything else. No offence but Ron Bourgeault’s Northeast Auctions in NH has got one of the worst run internet/auction sites in the antiques world, no condition reports, poor photographs, lousy history of sales, no online bidding, i could go on. How bad is it? it's so bad i don't ever go to his site anymore or online sales, THAT'S BAD! as i am a stone cold collector of old brown furniture. He operates like it's still 1990, trust me it isn't.
    The old furniture biz has changed, those that change with it do well, those that refuse to change................
    Bottom line on all this is, buyers market or not, you are going to get pretty much exactly what you put into a business, put very little in? you can expect to get very little out, simple as that.
    my 2 cents

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  10. Daniel oshaughnessy

Daniel oshaughnessy Active Member

Trends come and go....I will be keeping my brown wood, love it :)

11. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I understand it being a depressing situation for sellers of brown furniture.

But I like the millennial attitude of being less encumbered by physical stuff.

If only it would rub off on me.

PS: In general, I love millennials and you cannot change my mind on that one.

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  12. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Me too!

It's depressing for some because they refuse to change to the market realities of today.
    People today, particularly young people are used to shopping with a couple clicks of a mouse and, it's being delivered free day after tomorrow!
    The marketing of old furniture today is uhhhhhh, rather "antique" and that's just not gonna cut it in 2019.

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The depressed state of antique furniture brings some opportunity. I was able to buy this piece for $60.00 in showroom ready condition. Hope to sell for $200.00 but will probably end up taking less, since going on 2 weeks now with no bites. I'll let you know how long it takes to sell. Hopefully, I won't regret my decision to buy this.

[​IMG]

14. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Picked this little item up at a small antique mall in rural Iowa for $150.00 Pretty much showroom shape as well. IMG_4346.JPG

15. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

What a deal! Gorgeous! Mine is in boxes, waiting for restoration... 35 years and counting...

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  16. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Best of luck. Mine has a couple pieces of loose trim on the top that are currently held on with newer nails. Getting ready to remove those nails and glue it like it should have been done. Its a beauty, and all the locks work and the barrel top slides beautifully as well.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted