Featured this as a sweet chemical smell, but doesn't test positive with simichrome

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Estateraiders, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Estateraiders

Estateraiders Active Member

I used my Simichrome on this but nothing. It was made very well (notice the wire wrapped around the string where the clasp attaches) its etched with a signature of Mings s/s. was white but now a m cca177c9-4cf6-475d-8a0d-821e402d13b5.jpg earlyplasticclaspscloseup.jpg ustard color. Its heavy. The clasps are sterling and very nicely made. It smells like a sweet chemical smell under hot water for 30 seconds? But I have never owned Bakelite so I am hoping some of you here have seen this type of necklace & Bracelet before. Any other tips other than all the ones I have researched and tried (wont do a pin test or a dow cleaner test.) I only have 409 glass and surface cleaner and its purple. So I tried that and nothing. Is lucite heavy? But I read it doesn't smell. I am totally lost on this.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

possibly some type of nut..?

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Look like ivory pukake beads. Maybe you are smelling the perfume of the lady that wore these. Discolored from same.

Edit: Looks like the preferred spelling is PIKAKE

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

LauraB, Figtree3, cxgirl and 7 others like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link.

Houseful, Estateraiders and judy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Please stay away from any testing on any Ming's jewellery. Please, please, please.

(Anyone who wants to get rid of any Ming's pieces, they will find a very loving home here, especially those jade necklaces with a miniature Chinese jade buckle.:))

7. Estateraiders

Wow! Thank you all very much! So your saying they are ivory? ? .. it was choice on a table. Got a really old victorian wire flower bundle that's disintegrating and thinking its got jade beads ...will post later.

And I have the matching bracelet! ! Paid 5.00 for the set at auction! ! Woo hoooo!

Thank you all thank you thank you thank you! !!

cxgirl, pearlsnblume, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. Estateraiders

Well they are for sale if your interested. Contact me and I will give you a better price then that website.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thanks, but I am staying away from ivory, even old, dateable ivory needs a certificate where I live. But if you have the miniature Chinese jade buckle necklace, at a nice price....:)

komokwa and judy like this.
  10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

That was a very interesting link Holly.
    I sure wish I knew something about jewelry. I am trying to learn as I go.

Houseful likes this.
  11. Estateraiders

Yeah I've been doing my research today apparently Ivory can no longer be sold online and to try and find a jeweler or anybody that will purchase it I was just in Scottsdale no one wants to have anything to do with it so yeah great buy but I can't sell it

judy likes this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's one reason it went cheap, unfortunately. I don't think I can sell ivory here in CT, period. It doesn't matter how old it is. But, $5 for Ming's....yipe. That's a score.

13. Estateraiders

Draft saved Draft deleted