This happened here yesterday - B-17 Crash with fatalities

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by evelyb30, Oct 3, 2019.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It's been ALL OVER the news....7 fatalities.....so terribly sad!!! :(:(:(:(:sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry: DH and I have been through that plane when it came/comes to Worcester, MA, but always opted out to go for a flight on her........we always thought it would be a nightmare to try and get out of in a hurry!!! I imagine this will put a HUGE dent in the organization offering flights to the public in the future, now.........prayers for the families....:(:(

Christmasjoy and Michael77 like this.
  3. evelyb30

I've always had a special place in my heart for old B-17s, so even without the loss of life this would feel horrible.

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and Michael77 like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

My calendar photo for Sept was a beautiful B-17, so i've been looking at her for a month now...
    very sad........ the loss of life.....the loss of a historic plane.... all of it , just very sad !!!

5. evelyb30

Bad news all the way around.

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and Michael77 like this.
  6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I won't ride in a 1940's automobile and there is no chance in hell that I'd get into a 1940's airplane. I'm hesitant to use the 40 year old elevators at one of my employers' buildings since they look so primitive and rickety.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. evelyb30

I would if I could, to both; those old cars and birds were built like tanks. Elevators - I've gotten stuck in the newer ones, but never an old one.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Very sad news, the loss of life and a great part of history. I was able to visit this very B-17 when it came to town for a few days. I was able to meet some wonderful people there who actually flew during the war. One lady there in her mid 90's was one of the "Rosie the Riveters" who help build the B-17's and when the crowd there heard that she got a huge hip-hip who ray. IMG_1621.JPG IMG_1627.JPG View attachment 206389

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

So very sad indeed...

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I still regret that I got tight fisted and didn't do the flight in a B17 at El Cajon air show a few years back.

I've been up in a Mil 8, though. A rather rickety one at that. ;)

Christmasjoy and Michael77 like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That same plane also came to Waterloo, Iowa, near where I live -- most recently just a few months ago. I didn't see it, though. It was terrible to hear of the crash. :(

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

So very sad .. condolences to all. I have a dreadful fear of flying and will avoid it at all costs .. I've flown to England only 2 times and suffered nausea, nerve reactions, fainting, and intense fear .. the crew were great and I was very embarrassed. Even small flights are fearful for me. I have taken MANY long distance train and bus rides .. just to have my feet on the ground. These dreadful crashes .. where one must know that they don't stand a hope in Hell scares the daylights out of me. I wish it wasn't this way, I'd love to enjoy the comfort and speed of flying .. :( ... Joy.

13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Joy,
    Come fly with me. I was in a plane crash years ago. Odds have it so I have no fear of flying now. What are the changes of being in two crashes.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

Jivvy and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted