This is not Shaker, so what is it?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by asinning, Jul 9, 2018.

1. asinning

asinning New Member

My mother seemed to think this piece was Shaker. We've had it for over 50 years and in that time it has never been repaired or altered and it is in perfect condition. There are no visible manufactures marks or other identifiers that I can find. I'm considering putting it in the basement, but maybe if this is valuable I should make another plan. Thanks!

IMG_3068.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I've never seen feet like those and haven't as of yet found a match........:oops::oops:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The rockers on Shaker chairs seem to be placed further back. Is it lightweight?

4. asinning

asinning New Member

It is not lightweight.

5. komokwa

the chair is pretty basic but the stretcher and rockers gotta give this one away...
    I'll leave it for the furniture mavins..........

6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

James Conrad likes this.
  7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

No, is not Shaker.

judy likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The rockers are wrong, for a start, not that I know jack about furniture. Nice little chair though.

9. asinning

asinning New Member

Okay, consensus is that this isn't Shaker. Looking at more examples, that is clearly the case. Looks like black painted spindle chairs and rockers were pretty common from late 18th into the early 19th century. Anybody want to take a stab at where/when this might have come from? Thanks!

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think it might be a home made nursing rocker.......that's what my gut's telling me.....which is occasionally wrong too, and it needs desperately to be stripped to see what's underneath that......paint.......IMHO.....

judy likes this.
  11. James Conrad

This is not Shaker, so what is it?

It's a mid 19th century rocking chair.

Any Jewelry, kyratango and judy like this.
  12. komokwa

but R U sure it's a rocking chair ?? :hilarious::hilarious::woot:

judy likes this.
  13. James Conrad

LOL, pretty sure! Chairs were made by the millions in post industrial america, unless stamped or marked, almost impossible to find out where made.

judy and komokwa like this.
  14. komokwa

I still think the rockers have to be a clue........they are very well thought out !

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They look like mezzalunas. It's either a coincidence or the carpenter liked his wife's kitchen tools.

judy likes this.
  16. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I would call this a modified late Windsor chair, from about the mid to late 1800's. Looks like it has a solid plank seat in which case on the earlier end of that range, but if made of pieces glued together it is later. It has mostly bamboo ring turnings, which was used on late Windsors (compare to the post I made of a chair dated 1826 https://www.antiquers.com/threads/pair-of-windsor-chairs-i-couldnt-pass-up.28025/), but this has a few later parts like the back rail so it is on the later side when bench made Windsors were replaced by chairs made in large factories in New England and midwest. This would have been painted when new. The arms seem original. The rockers on the bottom are harder to call. A LOT of old Windsors have had rockers added decades later, and there are very few original early Windsors with rockers. This one is fairly late, and therefore in a time when newly made rocking chair is possible, but I would guess this one had the rockers added later, mainly because the leg style matches that of non-rockers, and the bottom braces don't make sense to be so close to the rockers. I'm guessing the seat is also pretty close to the floor because the bottom of the legs were cut off when the rockers were added.

Unfortunately Windsors that have been stripped and modified have little value these days. Even complete Windsors like mine don't have much value. So if you don't have room for it, the basement seems like an OK place to keep it, maybe to wait until it is better appreciated.

Draft saved Draft deleted