Featured This is pretty weird - My twists and turns with David Nordahl

Discussion in 'Art' started by scoutshouse, Feb 9, 2016.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

The "Westbrook" thread made me think to post this (sorry, it's kind of long):

First, I found this at the Goodwill in Daly City, near San Francisco. I thought it was a regular print, but turned out to be a duotone printed on silk(?). I've loved it all these 30+ years.

Nordahl.jpg Nordahl-2.jpg

Then came the Internet, and I was finally able to find out who "Nordahl" was - a very well-know Native American painter - really beautiful work.
    Foggy Crossing - David Nordahl Gallery

Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 5.00.39 PM.png

Bizarrely, he was hired by Michael Jackson to paint his "Court Portraits," very fantastical, over the top. He worked with Jackson 'til his death.

Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 5.57.44 PM.png

Then today on one of my local FB (Mall Worshipers) groups: Faces & Trees was in the "Big" Del Amo mall annex, about 1/4 mile from my childhood home - It was mucho popular across the US in the 70s. I saw this many times, and never made a connection.

Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 4.48.55 PM.png
    I wrote to him in 2012, inquiring about the duotone print:

Dear Laurel -

Thank you for sending the image of the Apache Face.
    This was a project that Ed Edwards wanted to explore as a line of images printed on fabric. For whatever reason they were never produced or marketed.
    The process was that they were printed on paper and heat-transferred to the fabric.
    Since they were never sold, only employees or friends of employee's of Environmental Graphics would have them.
    Since there were only a few that got into peoples hands, I have no idea what they would be worth.
    From the photo, it looked like it has some water damage.

Regards,

David Nordahl

Figtree3, judy, Christmasjoy and 9 others like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Very cool. Funny how things sometimes come full circle.

judy, Christmasjoy, tyeldom3 and 2 others like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I can't get over that Jackson image... and it's not because of the art. I wonder who Jackson thought was sufficiently exalted to anoint him.

He must have been unaware of that painting of Napoleon crowning himself.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Good find on the portrait and interesting research. (Sorry, but the Jackson thing just drove everything else out of my head.)

5. scoutshouse

I really believe Jackson was grandiose enough to think nothing of crowning himself as Napoleon!! LOL There are many even more bizarre images of him.

That's what's odd about the whole partnership - but I think it points out that Nordahl was an accomplished commercial artist - He didn't have to paint it!

Figtree3, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Your Apache on silk is MOST beautiful!!!!! You don't mention the size, but it looks to be very large..........stunning......with GREAT feeling!!!!

7. scoutshouse

Thanks, Aquitaine
    I'm pretty sure it's by Edward Curtis, but haven't searched recently - he hasn't turned up on a routine Google image search. I'd love to put a name to the face!

It is 32 x 26"

KingofThings and judy like this.
  8. Sammy

Sammy New Member

I have a print of that image signed by Nordahl.

9. scoutshouse

HI Sammy - sorry I haven't been around for a bit... You have an image of the Indian? is it on silk or fabric? Very cool!

BTW, Nordahl mentioned the water stain - fortunately, it comes out easily with sprayed water. Haven't been able to hang it for a while, but it's always peeking out from the side of something.

KingofThings and judy like this.
  10. Sammy

Sammy New Member

Sorry about the delay as well...It is paper...from what I can tell as it is framed and numbered 192/450 stamped Nordahl '79 and signed David Nordahl. So, I guess I am a little confused about his explanation above. Hmmmmm..... (Cited from: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/t...d-turns-with-david-nordahl.8040/#post-1544708)

11. scoutshouse

Hi @Sammy

I think the prints on silk were prototypes... In this case, Nordahl used an image from one of his own series, like yours. Does yours have a title?

Draft saved Draft deleted