This is supposed to be an 1800 oak urn table.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Sedona, May 14, 2017.

1. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Hello, all.

In the spirit of Mother's Day this is an antique urn table that my mother in law bought in around 1970. She gave it to us recently.

Any thoughts? English or American? What is it worth?

I don't see tables described as "urn tables" very often. Would it just be considered a side table?

Thank you all.

Side view: the "scalloping" (is that the proper word) goes all around the top edge.

image.jpg

Close up of brass pull:

image.jpg

Inside of drawer. The screw is modern.

image.jpg

Back corner.

image.jpg

Front corner.

image.jpg

The drawer open. It has the sale tag still in it from around 1970, which gives the dimensions (including 31" " high and describes it as an oak urn table circa 1800.

image.jpg

Close up top front.

image.jpg

Whole thing.

image.jpg

Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Size is always helpful.

Other names for these small tables - Candle stand, plant stand.

Going to add:
    If this table is later than it looks, could also be a phone table.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Have not heard of an urn table. Wonder if they meant fern stand? I would just call this an occasional table. Not a lot of clues to age or origin with this. I do think 19th century with those square head nails and beading on the recessed drawer front. I think circa 1800 a stretch. The pull is old but the new screw makes me think it may not be original to the piece. I also get a bit of a home made vibe from this. The proportions are odd and the tops too thin. The way the drawer is constructed seems wrong for a factory piece. The other possibility is that it has been reconstructed using new pine. Note that there is no age discoloration nor wear those drawer rails.

4. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Thank you. We have used it as a phone table. I thought the nail fasteners for the drawer were odd. Perhaps the table is oak and the drawer is pine?

5. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Here is the original sales tag with description.

image.jpg

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i can write one of those ...with a $ 1500 price on it.....

7. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

True, but is my label accurate?

As an aside I've noticed that when I see wood furniture at antique shops, oftentimes the label will not identify the wood (unless it is a Craftsman piece clearly made of oak).

8. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Drawer has been repaired at the very least. Pine looks to be rather on the new side. Old nails don't necessarily mean anything. I have 4 or 5 jars of the old hand forged nails. I agree, 1800 a big stretch, more like the last quarter of 1800's and some not original.

9. Vernon Ward

Vernon Ward New Member

Tthe graceful OG scrolled skirt.his type of table, no matter what you name it was originally designed as a bedroom piece to hold a pitcher and bowl on the top and a "thunder jug" on the shelf. The drawer was for holding razor, brush, etc. This particular example raises several questions: as mentioned earlier, the top seems too thin and actually fights with the nice OG scrolled skirt; the drawer construction is also quite crude for this well shaped design, but I have owned early country end tables with graceful Hepplewhite legs and the only tool used to make it was an axe or hatchet, no other tool marks were present. There are many examples of 19th century (or earlier) country pieces made by unskilled craftsmen with a sophisticated feel for design.
    This definitely an interesting piece.

10. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

In the Cleveland-Akron Oh. area, it's worth around $70.00-$80.00.

11. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Thank you, all. I appreciate it.

Draft saved Draft deleted