Featured This Looks Like 20's-30's Original Fashion Artwork by Roffe

Discussion in 'Art' started by wlwhittier, May 23, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Over the 45 or so years I've had this, I've turned down several enthusiastic folks who offered to relieve me of the burden of her presence, offering nothing but filthy lucre in exchange!
    I'd rather sell my FirstBorn...actually that has been given thoughtful consideration on occasion! Anyway, no deal...I love her.

Only today did I search for Roffe...an' found too many choices, so gave it up. Perhaps one of you will be more perseverant, therefore more successful. Which Roffe...and when, roughly?

~9" X ~7" framed; 8" X 5¾" image. It was purchased in an antique store in Mt. Vernon, soon after I arrived in Washington. I recall the proprietor being strongly attached to it, stoutly announcing that no discount would be allowed on the purchase. It was $5...I didn't argue with her.

Thanks for looking!

fullsizeoutput_92c3.jpeg fullsizeoutput_92c2.jpeg fullsizeoutput_92c1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_92c0.jpeg fullsizeoutput_92bf.jpeg

Born2it, Houseful and Bakersgma like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's a straight 30s dress, but beyond that dunno.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Just a tad earlier. Cloche hat with brim, dropped waist. 1920s.

Debora

1927-dress-springtime-day-500.jpg

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

For misses and small women. No surprise. You had to be small to rock the look. Those cloche hats have never gone away entirely.

The metallic headpieces from the same era are still around too. I found this one on line and could only think we need Jada Pinkett Smith to model it.
    [​IMG]

5. David Broom

David Broom Active Member

I wonder if this is connected with a design for a deco playing card pack – either original artwork for or copy of. There were literally thousands of such designs in the 20s/30s. I can’t track down an art deco designer/illustrator called Roffe though!

wlwhittier likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Neither could I. What medium is your work?

Debora

7. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Great! Now I know what to call those hats...been an occasional puzzle for years. Good Call!

I'm not competent to answer your question, Debora.

It is original...the outlines are black ink, all the colors seem to be applied, but aren't paper glued on, not apparently painted, nor do they seem to be transfers. I haven't taken it out of its frame, so can't tell you more than that. Broom's comment about playing cards sounds good. I've re-hung it, but I'll get it down and check the aspect of the image...that would be a clue.

Draft saved Draft deleted