Featured This never made it to a state called "Jewelry", but has been in that box for

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Aquitaine, Jan 21, 2023.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

AGES.....think Mom had a jewelry friend who gave it to her when she thought she might like to try her hand at it back in the early '50's....which she never did!!! To my knowledge it's not been polished until I tried recently.....so before & after showing here...inside edge is stamped "mexico", other than that, it was a BEAR to even TRY to polish......so not sure even how much silver it may be....should I just trash it and be done with it??? NOT something I'll ever do anything with!!! Thank you for ANY input, as ALWAYS!!! Been trying for over a week to get some time to post a couple of things....life is just getting too busy!!!! First 3 images- mostly NOT polished, Last 3 images- best I could do to polish....OH, it's a smallish bracelet.... NP-IMG_1112.jpg

NP-IMG_1113.jpg

NP-IMG_1119.jpg

P-IMG_1120.jpg

P-IMG_1121.jpg

P-IMG_1122.jpg

stracci, IvaPan, lovewrens and 8 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You did a great job polishing it, Aqui, and it is a beauty.:happy:
    The MEXICO mark is an older Mexican mark, mostly used in the first half of the 20th century.

IvaPan, Dessert58, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Thank you AJ, I'm just NEVER going to do anything with it....it's very 'rough' IMHO, s'pose I could test it & weigh it....see how it comes up...??

4. Any Jewelry

It isn't in a really bad state. I'm sure it is worth more as an old Mexican cuff bracelet than it is in melt value.

IvaPan, mirana, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It polished up a treat! Maybe some silver foam and toothbrush would make it easier?
    It’s very nice and unusual, if it’s not your style maybe pop it on eBay and see how it does?. It would be good to get it tested to know what you are selling though as it would be galling to sell it as base metal if it’s sterling.

IvaPan and Aquitaine like this.
  6. Aquitaine

@KSW, I've never done ebay, and don't think I'd like to after "listening" to all many of you have to say here about the "headaches" you run in to!!! Which is most likely why I still have too much stuff :rolleyes: ! BUT, I did just get a jar of Goddard's Silver polishing Foam, and will test it!! WAIT....how long are those little bottles of testing liquid good for??? And Thank you!!

IvaPan likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the silver don't last as long as the gold testers.......as I've heard here before......the silver liquid don't last that long..
    how long have u had it?

IvaPan likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

You're better off scratch testing with the 18k acid anyway. The results are a lot easier to read. Just scratch on the stone in the usual way. Hit the stripe on the stone with the 18k and the metal should turn white and curdle up. I bought one bottle of sterling acid and it went bad within a month or two. Some of my gold acids are years old and they work fine.

tie.dye.cat, kyratango and IvaPan like this.
  9. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I agree that after testing you should give it a whirl on the Bay. If you were going to "trash" it or be disinterested in it, then it's a good piece to auction with. It's not my style but I know women who love that look. Even better to list as a handmade artist piece.

IvaPan likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Listing it as pre-1950 Mexican silver will sell even better.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Aquitaine, kyratango, mirana and 4 others like this.
  12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Also, scratch test a know piece of silver along side it, that way you will know what a positive result looks like :)

Aquitaine likes this.
  13. Aquitaine

@komokwa, Sorry, I JUST noticed there was an answer to my Question!!!! UMMM, maybe 2+ years, so am assuming it's no good....even tho the bottle hasn't been opened....for silver!! It's a darkish red color.....am assuming that might mean no good????? They don't seem to sell just the replacement acids......I've already got a couple of good size stones........saw a video showing you can use the acids for Gold to test silver???????

komokwa likes this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sure can. I think red color should mean it's still good, but for a scratch test it's easier to read the 18k acid by rather a lot.

Aquitaine likes this.
  15. Aquitaine

WHOA!!!!! @say_it_slowly, what you found is identical to what I have!!!! I hardly believe I'm seeing that!! THANK YOU ALL SO, SO MUCH!! And did NOT think it could be worth even that much, trust me!!

Any Jewelry, mirana and komokwa like this.
  16. Aquitaine

@komokwa- I don't believe it's been touched by ANY polish since the '50s!!! Just sitting in a jewelry box since then as I didn't have the heart to trash it..........at this point, think I'm glad I didn't!

komokwa likes this.
  17. komokwa

trashing it would have been a mistake....but you've ben here long enuf to know better !!:happy::happy::happy::kiss:

Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  18. Aquitaine

Yes I have!!! But I HAD thought of that BEFORE I became a member HERE and got FURTHER/BETTER educated!!!:happy::happy::):):singing::singing::singing:

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  19. Aquitaine

UPDATE:@evelyb30, @komokwa or other powers that BE.....NOT to beat a dead horse to death, but now that I've ordered NEW Acids, WHAT to DO WITH/or How do I get rid of the OLD Acids??? AND thank you for your responses!!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  20. komokwa

do u have a hazardous waste depot near you...?

Draft saved Draft deleted