Featured Thomas Bradbury and Sons Silver Bowl

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Meg Alfoni, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Meg Alfoni

Meg Alfoni New Member

I have this bowl, but can't find anything similar on the web. I think it's Thomas Bradbury and Sons made around 1908. Can someone help me out or direct me to a web site where I might find out more info? Thanks T and Sons bowl small.jpg Tand Sons bowl hallmark small.jpg

judy, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What are the dimensions? I don't see anything that would indicate that it had a lid, but perhaps you do?

kyratango likes this.
  3. Meg Alfoni

Meg Alfoni New Member

Sorry, I'm new to this! No lid. The dimensions are approximately 4" tall, and 8.5" wide including the handles. The diameter of the bowl itself is about 6". Thanks for responding

LIbraryLady and judy like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Perhaps it had an insert so it could hold a floral arrangement?

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Those are called flying scroll handles, if that helps you to find it.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

judy, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  7. i need help

I only learned that term today in looking for this piece. So, we will have to rely on one of us remembering it! Nice find!

judy, kyratango and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Team it with 'flying butresses.' The scroll part is easy.

Meanwhile, the bowl is gawgess!

9. i need help

Very Nice Find, Meg and Welcome to the Forum! :)

judy and kyratango like this.
  10. Meg Alfoni

Meg Alfoni New Member

Thank you everyone. That's great information. And what a nice reaction to my first post on this site!

11. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

This is a fairly common design for small trophy cups or presentional silver. Often found engraved with 'First Prize for Best Chicken, Sutterfield Agricultural show' or similar.
    I do not think anyone gave a great deal of thought to what it was supposed to be used for but the size would about right for nuts or sweeties, or just somewhere to put odds and ends.

This sort of item is fairly easily found in the saleroom for around the silver metal value. THe retail values shown in the link seem fanciful to me, but I suppose if you don't have the time or inclination to hunt stuff yourself you have to pay what the retail market asks.
    I think I would use it to eat popcorn out of.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I thought flying scroll was when only the lower part of the handle was attached, so on one spot, This one is attached in 2 spots, but has an upward curve.

To me these are flying scroll handles, the lower C is attached, there is only one point of attachment. The top C is attached to the lower C, again in one spot, the rest 'flies'.
    [​IMG]

i need help and judy like this.
  13. i need help

I’m sure you would be correct. Apparently, the definition has become googlized to include many variations. Thank you for the correction!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Af: Damned with faimt sneer.

Draft saved Draft deleted