Thomas Kinkade print help

Discussion in 'Art' started by 916Bulldogs123, Aug 10, 2014.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I can't seem to find another to find the title of this print.
    Does any one know?

Mikey

atree 19328.jpg
    atree 19327.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Mikey,I don't think it really matters . if there is still a market for anything by him Id be mightily surprised ! but then again,some folks still by Beanie babies so who knows. A friends sister was HEAVILY into Kinkade,she spent tons of moneyon his stuff,then a few years ago she took ill and tried to sell some of her more "valuable" pieces and they were impossible to get rid of ! I felt so bad for her. She spent 1000s on that mess.

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Mikey,
    Nothing personal. When I see these things I immediately make the sign of a cross with one finger from each hand. The only thing I hate more than these prints are those onion headed Precious Moments. Oh course a lot of people like these things and so be it. I also think some people hate glass and silver. lol
    greg

4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

One good thing about it is that it would make a diabolically difficult jigsaw puzzle.

I occasionally buy old jigsaw puzzles, and then use the excuse that I have to check they are all there to waste hours and hours making them up. Then they get put in the shed, as they are not worth much anyway.

I look at this picture and think there are just enough focal points and distinctive areas to get started with it and loads of monotone areas that just come down to patience and pattern recognition.

So, to me, the title is 'Pre-Jigsaw'

5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Petals Of Hope.

But seeing any Kinkade makes me think of this . . .
    frabz-First-well-kill-it-with-fire-Then-well-run-it-over-d36b7c.jpg

6. 916Bulldogs123

My parents have a few of the same Johnny, they purchased for big $$$ back in the 80's. looks like they will have to keep them for a while.
    As for this one, it is nicely framed and will fetch at least twice my 4.99 spent.
    Thanks messi, Cool Beans

7. Messilane

Mike, I found it by taking (stealing - LOL) your photo, cropping all but the image itself, and then doing a Google Image search.

8. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

He reminds me of this artist based out of Charleston/Savannah named Ray Ellis. My whole extended family has given this guy literally thousands of dollars for his numbered prints. Live auctioneers shows that you can't even give his prints away most of the time. Yet people go to his gallery and go nuts over them.

9. johnnycb09

I googled Mr. Ellis and I must confess Moon,I don't get it either !

10. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

11. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

Well, his paintings were quite a bit better than Kincade's. In fact he was very talented. But the whole phenomenon with the print thing was very similar in that SCADS (Savannah joke there) of people would go to his gallery and spend lots of money on the prints, which are essentially worthless.

12. 916Bulldogs123

Wow. Well at least Kinkades S/N prints are still selling well.

13. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I believe I have seen Thomas Kinkade jigsaw puzzles. :beaver:

14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I agree that most of T. Kincade stuff was just for profit and has no real resale value as yet. It will be the originals that maintain their value.

Currier and Ives is what comes to mind as copied or mass produced, then there was Maxfield Parrish, eventually in time, those Kincades that survive will have resale value, just not in our time.

I have to say I find this print more pleasing to look at than the house pictures. It has a very tranquil feeling.

15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

While typical Kinkade paintings and prints aren't my cup of tea, I also kind of like this one. But the framing/matting is way too overpowering for my taste.

I think it would look much better with a quiet treatment like this...

kinkade.jpg

16. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Every generation seems to have its ARTifacts. Back in the day, everyone had a Charles Dana Gibson print (or one from the easel of one of his imitators). In the 20's and 30's, no household was without some tenderly colorized Wallace Nutting. The 30's and 40's had troodles of enchanting baby pictures from Maude Humphrey up to Jesse Wilcox Smith and Charlotte Becker. The 40's and 50's were all about Norman Rockwell and his cohorts. Then came the Andy Warhol era, followed by Peter Max -- and after that, I guess I stopped keeping track.

Kinkade actually had a direct ancestor in those English artists of the 20's who painted thatched cottages, at the end of country lanes, loaded with roses and larkspur and daisies and vines and vaguely perceived ladies in big hats, presumably carrying a basket and secateurs. Variations of this scene were imposed on EVERYTHING Milady's sewing box, her glove box, one's card table, the tops of calendars, etc. Kinkade's other ancestor is, of course, Maxfield Parish.

All these artists started out with a good idea, but some stretched the concept into a caricature of the original. It is unfortunate, because it diminishes their work as a whole. Most of the above-named artists survived their years of omnipresence, and have enjoyed a resurgence of popularity several decades later. This will probably happen to Kinkade -- but I do earnestly hope that all the ones that look as if they have been made out of the foil wrappers chocolates come in will have disintegrated.

afantiques and Messilane like this.
  17. Messilane

You left out Bev Doolittle.
    (gag me with a spoon)

18. johnnycb09

Don't forget Keane with those alien eyed children ! or p. Buckley Moss !

yourturntoloveit and Messilane like this.
  19. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Left out lots of people! I grew up halfway between Philadelphia and Chadds Ford. Many, if not most of the "popular" artists and illustrators lived there, worked there, or were schooled there. :)

20. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just saw this cartoon and the devil made me post it here.
    greg tas140813.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted