Thomas Nast print on glass what is it?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Kevolee, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, not sure this is really art in a true sense, but I am hoping someone can help me learn what it is and what it is called. It is the image of a Thomas Nast Christmas print that appears to be inside glass when tilted in light. Nothing seems to be raised on either side of the glass. I cannot find anything similar with any images other some stained glass type pieces with similar pewter frames. I would be grateful for any help or leads on what this is.

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

how is that glass in one piece with the severe damage to the frame !

3. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

@Kevolee -

I think that frame
    Is just lead came,
    And a soldering gun
    Was used by some dame!

Best guess: it's a decal or transfer between two sheets of single-pane window glass.

Figtree3, moreotherstuff and komokwa like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Does this mean it has to be at a certain angle to the light in order for the image to be visible?

I don't see any way to hang it, but the Tiffany window type ones I have came with a little easel as well as with a chain & S hooks that attach to holes in the frame. Mine came from a museum gift shop. Yours may have had a similar source.

5. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

@Bronwen - Yours are doubtless copper foil method; this is simply lead came, and the lead is dead soft - it will stretch - sometimes sufficiently to let Mister Nast fall out into the fireplace, burning his Weihnachtsmann.

moreotherstuff and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't know. They look like lead & are quite heavy. When one fell, frame bent a little & glass cracked without falling out. I was able to bend it back some. They are not truly stained glass. More like painted in enamels.

7. Kevolee

IMG_2478.JPG

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Kevolee

The image is visible at any angle and when held toward light it looks to be im ? em bedded inside of the glass. The cross hatching is very clear and detiled.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted