Thoughts before I make on offer on this bar pin? 1920s 14k

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Oct 28, 2017.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Local shop of mine have this 14k art deco bar pin I have been interested in for quite some time. They have $95 + tax on it but come Monday I am going to make them an offer on it. First off is it worth it? Is it 1920s? It weighs 4 grams or so. Also, how do you wear them? I was thinking of just putting it on a shirt... Thoughts?
    20171014_165031_resized.jpg 20171014_165041_resized.jpg 20171014_165052_resized.jpg 20171028_161014_resized.jpg 20171028_161017_resized.jpg

judy and KingofThings like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like it was die stamped and the stone may be a Yogo sapphire.

3. spartcom5

I take it if it indeed is a Yogo Sapphire it would be worth picking up then...? What if it isn't?

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

You do notice that it is bent, correct?

Also there is something about the texture that I don't like. Older pins from the early 1900s would have been smooth.

judy likes this.
  5. spartcom5

Yes I can see it is slightly bent right there, should be an easy fix though?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    judy likes this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

I see nothing wrong with the texture,many were textured and mill grained like around the sapphire on the edges and "filigree" and inside lines.There were thousands of dies at one time. Die video link.

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I do wear bar pins sometimes -- generally on a shirt, blouse, sweater, or even on a denim vest that I have. Also, I have a couple of blouses (buttoned) that gap open at the top when I lean over. I have used a bar pin of this type to hold the two sides together, above the top button.

tie.dye.cat and judy like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Hollyblue, that youtube video.....I could have spent ALL DAY watching him and all the others!!!!!!!!! FASCINATING!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):)

judy likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't think a 22 year old guy would have that problem......:playful::playful::playful:

judy likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Different demographic! -- Oh, and if you also meant that they wouldn't consider it a problem in women, that's right as well.

judy likes this.
  11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

That price is scrap value as of Friday's closing so not a bad price since scrap value doesn't take in to account design, age, workmanship or the stone :)

Draft saved Draft deleted