Featured Thoughts /info on ...Moorish? Spanish? floor lamp

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Apr 13, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I bought this this morning from a thrift store for $100 (my friend is the manager and told me $150 when I asked; I offered $100 and he agreed)
    It's not really my type but I couldn't take my eyes off of it - it is definitely a statement piece.
    What do I call it? Moorish? Spanish? Moroccan?
    It's from the 1960's I'm guessing?
    Also - the brass? filigree bottom lights up 3 different ways; there is a button to push with your foot (last photo) and each time you step on it, it gets brighter, and brighter, and brighter - and then turns off again.
    It also has a over the top dark brown velvet shade that makes it just under 6ft tall!
    Thank you for any info/thoughts!

FURNITURE LAMP MOORISH SPANISH 1AAA.JPG
    FURNITURE LAMP MOORISH SPANISH 2AAA.JPG FURNITURE LAMP MOORISH SPANISH 2BAA.JPG
    furniture lamp moorish spanish 1aa.JPG FURNITURE LAMP MOORISH SPANISH 1BAA.JPG FURNITURE LAMP MOORISH SPANISH 1CAA.JPG FURNITURE LAMP MOORISH SPANISH 1DAA.JPG

antidiem, TraceyB, KSW and 5 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

American?

antidiem, TraceyB, KSW and 3 others like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I see hinges on the jeweled part. Does it open? I guess that’s to change bulbs inside?

TraceyB, KSW, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  4. journeymagazine

Yes to change bulbs
    Any jewelry; is this really American?? I bow to your experience but I would have sworn it's Moroccan, Spanish or something. - Do you have a title I can use for it in a listing?

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Dunno country of manufacture but... Wouldn't consider design Moorish, Spanish or Moroccan. More a 1001 Arabian Nights fantasy piece. And, thank goodness it has the original shade.

Debora

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Any Jewelry, TraceyB, KSW and 3 others like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Is there any indication of country on the plug or lighting inside?

TraceyB, KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

The first thing I thought of when I saw it-- It reminded me of a hotel in Fla I stayed at in the 70's in Miami called The Algiers. This is just a guess, not fact. There was a room called Scheherazad in that hotel and that is what your lamp reminded me of.

judy, Any Jewelry, TraceyB and 2 others like this.
  8. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

OMG - that is outrageous! Love it!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

TraceyB, KSW, patd8643 and 2 others like this.
  9. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Kind of a floor lamp crossed with a table.

TraceyB, KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Lamps crossed with tables were quite popular in the 70s in the US.

What type of 3-way bulbs are currently in it?

American is very probable.

11. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I agree 1000%!! :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed: It is definitely not my style & I wouldn't have kept it for myself but I would have bought it for resale in a nanosecond. :p:p

I was thinking late 1960s into the 1970s when Mediterranean furniture was very much in style. This table lamp would have been very much at home on shag carpeting surrounded by large, heavy, dark wood furniture.

I had an auctioneer comment to me one time wondering if he was going to live long enough to see Mediterranean furniture come back into style. My reply was that his grandchildren were probably not going to live long enough to see that style come back into fashion. :rolleyes::rolleyes: :p:p :playful::playful: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

i need help, judy, TraceyB and 2 others like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd call it Spanish Bordello - total late 60s/early 70s. And it actually is making a small comeback. Some of the really outrageous examples are selling for decent money.

judy, Any Jewelry, TraceyB and 3 others like this.
  13. pearlsnblume

Those cut outs with the green remind me some of Culver's Valencia Glass Pattern. Just throwing that out there.
    The store Anthropogie has been carrying BOHO Chic stuff for years. Which reminds me I should go there again when the virus is gone.

judy, Any Jewelry and TraceyB like this.
  14. journeymagazine

I just don't think American at all when I look at it, Debora.
    pearlsnblume, what is BOHO?
    I like Mediterranean and Spanish bordello!
    maybe I could ask a question in title like:

Souvenir from old Algiers Hotel? Mid Century Moorish, Mediterranean, Spanish Bordello Floor Lamp - A Statement Piece lamp!

judy, TraceyB and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. journeymagazine

I will look; it's next door.

TraceyB likes this.
  16. journeymagazine

That shade is something, isn't it? lol

TraceyB and bercrystal like this.
  17. pearlsnblume

BOHO is Bohemian

judy, TraceyB and bercrystal like this.
  18. StarCastle33

StarCastle33 Active Member

I wonder if someone pieced this together sometime later on? As for what to refer to it as, Im finding a fair close resemblance when I look up Hollywood Regency Aurora Borealis. I was also finding similarities when I used the keyword Filigree, and stumbled upon this page that had pretty much a replica of your base: http://vintage-lamp-shade.net/vtg-l...weled-lamp-shade-1960-s-hollywood-regency.php

Anyways, hope this helps you along the way. All the best

19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think the lamp is original; it wouldn't surprise me if the two were made to go together. Of if the shade is actually a piece of a lamp twin to the OP's I can imagine a whole room full of this Spanish/California Bordello stuff, unfortunately.(LOL)

judy, TraceyB and bercrystal like this.
  20. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I would eliminate the hotel reference from the title but could see it being part of the description.

MCM Mediterranean Spanish Bordello Style 6' Table Lamp Filigree Lighted Base

judy, TraceyB and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted