Thoughts on Dali-ish nude painting, Help with artist's name on 2nd painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 1, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found a treasure trove of art today at a local thrift store!
    1st - thoughts on the first Dali - ish? painting (unsigned)
    2nd - Has anyone heard of a artistt named Hopp? Sailboat painting on wood (see back photo!) looks mid century?
    PS - Also found a cool Queen Mary poster? painting? by Robert E. Wood (I think it's a poster/print because I found other references to it - but it has some initials after his name; maybe a watercolor society?) - can't find any images - 2 google finds/links to Queen Mary by Robert E. Wood on ebay, aren't on eBay! (it says We can't find it) - it's a print, right?
    Thank you all!

ART PAINTING NUDE  NO SIGNATURE DALI LIKE 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING NUDE  NO SIGNATURE DALI LIKE 4AA.JPG ART PAINTING HOPP 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING HOPP 3A_AA.JPG ART PAINTING HOPP 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING HOPP 8AA.JPG ART PRINT ROBERT E WOOD QUEEN MARY 1AA.JPG ART PRINT ROBERT E WOOD QUEEN MARY 2AA.JPG

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I don't think I've EVER seen an original work of art at the thrifts I frequent. :(:(:mad::confused:

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not sure I'd describe the first as Dali-esque. It's on a canvas backed by corrugate? Is that what I'm seeing? And has it shifted in its frame? The second appears to be a mid-century decorative painting. Lots of impact. The third does appear to be a print. Here's another example which appears to have the same frame. Dunno what A.N.A. is. A.W.S. is American Watercolor Society.

https://bid.auctionbymayo.com/lot-d...964159?url=/auctions/catalog/id/26555/?page=3

Debora

charlie cheswick likes this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I would not describe the first painting as surrealism.
    I think both are factory paintings, the first has the typical modern ornate frame that these pieces are shipped with. Looks like the artists ran out of blue paint by the edge of the canvas. Looks like an oil painting, by the sheen I am able to see from your first picture.

Any Jewelry and charlie cheswick like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The Hopp boat picture is very much like nautical pictures used to decorate motel spaces along the NW coast.

6. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Here is a blurb for artist christopher Hopp. style looks the same, but really doubt it's his. Looks like there could be a first name with what looks like a D with a black line starting to the left of the vertical black line. You'll have to do some research.

https://www.singulart.com/en/artist/christopher-hopp-9639

7. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thank you - if 1st is factory wouldn't there be some signature?

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm very sure I wouldn't.;)
    There used to be similar paintings in motels in Australia. 'Motel art'?:playful:

antidiem, reader and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted