Thoughts on desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by necollectors, Feb 19, 2020.

1. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

Hi guys...OK need some input. The desk is roughly 1930-40's? I believe, maybe older? And it has a cherry stain, but the wood looks cherry as well, do you agree? Pulls are original, no maker that I can see. Any guesstimants on going price, or any other info?
    dimensions...45"x23" 30" high front view desk.jpg

Attached Files:

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

judy, i need help and James Conrad like this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Would guess 1940s or 50s. In my part of the U.S. Midwest I'd think $150 to $250 at auction. Like Cluttered, I'd think mahogany as well.

4. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

Thanks guys...Opinion needed...so since this really isn't a highly regarded antique per se...would I be better off leaving the pulls with the patina, or polish them?

judy likes this.
  5. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

The value of desks has really taken a beating. It is one of the pieces of furniture (along with dining furniture and others) that no one uses anymore (thanks to cellphones and laptops in this case). Here in new england (boston area) I would estimate $50 to $100 if lucky. I wouldn't put any time into it since I wouldn't expect to get it back.

Yours is mid-century or so, but won't appeal to the mid-century modern crowd. Here's a period 18th century desk that went for high asking price ($209) at skinner last year; if you search you'll see even worse https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/3241T/lots/1044:
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted