Featured Thoughts on my lap desk?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Dave D, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Dave D

Dave D Active Member

I don't know the country of origin. It is 13 x 10 x 4 1/4. Appears to be felt lined on the inside. There is one little extra piece that you can see on a photo or two that doesn't seem to fit anywhere but is obviously part of it. The metal plaque on the top looks like it might be letters but I can't tell what they are, not because it's worn, it's just hard to tell what they are.
    Anything you can tell me about this would be appreciated. P1040931.JPG P1040927.JPG P1040928.JPG P1040926.JPG P1040925.JPG P1040924.JPG P1040923.JPG P1040929.JPG P1040930.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

We have folks here who can likely decipher the letters if you post a closer, focused picture of that plaque.

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. Dave D

Dave D Active Member

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Nice rosewood one

5. Dave D

Dave D Active Member

Thanks blooey. I thought it might be rosewood but I don't know woods well.

Christmasjoy, blooey and scoutshouse like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sweeeeet...........:happy:

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Nice! Another name:writing slope

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Dave D

Dave D Active Member

Yes scoutshouse, that is probably a better name for it--more specific. Thank you.

judy, Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I want to say the middle initial is an F for sure, but can't say as I've ever seen the first and last letters 'conjoined' in that manner.....I 'think' they are C & S.... but not positive....on the last....or could be an L? Nice writing box!!!

X3P1040932-edit.JPG

Figtree3, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Lap desk is all we ever called them in the trade and in my time probably fixed up and sold at least 20

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  11. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

12. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Or CFL...
    The slope is rather unusual from ones I have had.

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Agree.

@Shangas

14. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Thanks CC.

Yeah, pretty standard lap-desk or writing-slope/box. Design looks older than most I've seen. The kind with the fold-down single leaf at the bottom suggests an earlier date of manufacture. So probably early 1800s or very late 1700s.

The skiver (fabric-lined area) was usually covered in velvet or leather. It couldn't be anything too fibrous, otherwise you couldn't write on it. Pen-nibs are VERY sharp - they'd feel the unevenness of the fabric through the paper, and then it'd just catch and rip.

The skiver is in fairly decent condition, as is the rest of the box. I mean it can be repaired/restored, if you want to really put effort into it.

It appears to be missing the inkwell/s and key, which is very very VERY common. Repairing/replacing the skiver is possible, if you ever want to do that...

15. Dave D

Dave D Active Member

Thanks so much to everyone for sharing your knowledge. This is a wonderful forum!

16. Dave D

Dave D Active Member

It is pretty dirty. Any suggestions on how to clean it up?

17. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I am thinking some warm soapy water and a rag. Just dampen it enough to catch the dirt but not to really moisten the wood. But, the pros may have better suggestions.

18. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Rosewood objects came into fashion during the Raj.

19. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I'd suggest starting with that big brown streak across the middle, and work outwards from there. Basically - spray some water across the stain, then layer 2-3 sheets of paper towel on it. Spray the paper-towel with just enough water to get that damp, too, and then carefully iron on low or medium heat. Check under the paper towel every now and then to see if there's any results. Basically, the steam permeates the fabric and shifts and loosens any grime, and the wicking and moisture of the fabric and paper-towel will transfer it to the paper-towel. Move and remoisten as necessary.

I should point out that the upper skiver is the only thing that holds the upper half of the writing-slope in place. There's no hinges or nails in there (this was a VERY common construction-method back in the day), so excessive heat may loosen the glue that holds it together. So iron gently, and check the paper-towel to see if any grime is coming off onto it. Move the iron around and don't let it linger in any one place too long.

It may not remove all the grime, but it should at least remove something.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  20. Dave D

Dave D Active Member

Thanks Shangas for such a detailed reply. However the idea of using an iron {which I don't even own and haven't used in decades} on it scares me. I'm thinking "First, do no harm."

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted