Featured Thoughts on painting...

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lucille.b, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

What do you think about this piece? Oil on canvas. Thanks.

paint1.jpg paint3.jpg paint4.jpg paint5.jpg

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I like it:) Reminds me of the calendars with prints by Dorothy Oxborough - no idea if she painted your piece, will have a look around.

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW!!!!! That's pretty close to your N. A. child!!! I'd say you nailed it down pretty tight with Y. Dias for Lucille, cxgirl!!!!!! NICE WORK!!!!!
    Nearly, forgot.....I LOVE it:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:!!

5. Lucille.b

I'm speechless! It has to be the same artist. Same (almost green) shading between the eyes and the wisps of hair off to the right and left are in the exact style along with the eyes, over all style, subject, size of canvas even, and everything else. Bingo! I'm so impressed, thank you Cxgirl. In a million years I didn't think I'd get the name of the artist as mine is unsigned. And all of this in less than an hour, too...

Very grateful and once again appreciate this list.

scoutshouse, KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I lucked out on the image search, so glad it worked out:)

7. Lucille.b

Finding more paintings for "V. Dias", so interesting! (Portugal, 20th century)

https://www.aspireauctions.com/#!/catalog/84/470/lot/20662

So far mine seems the only one not signed. The back of the frame on mine had some paper stapled on the wood, center bottom, now all but missing. Perhaps artist information was on there at one time.

Thanks again!

scoutshouse, KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wonderful to see other paintings Lucille, yours sure looks like it was done by the same artist.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Did you take yours out of the frame to see if the signature might be covered up?

10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I also love the painting!

KingofThings likes this.
  11. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Look under both V and Y -

I'm confused: I found the same Bonham auction for Y. Dias but with different date and estimate. Can anyone explain how that would happen and what premium means? (I've never been to an auction)

FindArt.com.......Feb 2010 est. US$ 300 - 500 Sold US$122
    Bonhams.com....Aug 2010 est. US$ 200 - 300 Sold US$122 inc. premium

12. say_it_slowly

When you buy at an auction they often charge the buyer a percentage of the sale called a buyer's premium. My local auction house charges 10% to buyers so that premium is added to anything won at auction. So if I win at $100 with a 10% buyer's premium my bill is $110. (plus sales tax) Bigger auction houses often have much higher percentage premiums. (They also usually charge the seller a percentage so they win on both ends.)

scoutshouse likes this.
  13. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Thanks! what about the two different dates? and estimates?

14. say_it_slowly

I've seen that before when searching online for auction results. Not sure but I've always guessed that the earlier one went unsold and was listed again at a later date (and maybe the software doesn't allow for that) or it was technically sold but the sale didn't go through. The later estimate was lower so either could be the case. Of course the buyer could have just consigned it for resale too. That's probably $100 sale price plus premium I'd think. Not sure what Bonham's charges sellers and it probably depends on who they are and what they're selling but I'd guess the seller might have received something in the $60-75 range but other's probably know better.

15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Not to be a party pooper, but yours looks like an imitation of the Dias painting. There are quite a few differences.

16. Lucille.b

Of course I wondered briefly if this was a copy due to lack of signature, but it seems like V. Dias isn't all that well known of a painter (found 5 paintings total online.) Also with current value at around $60-100 for actual sales price, there would be no financial incentive to copy his work, but suppose it could have happened as a practice piece or someone trying to get in on the portrait market in Portugal 50 years ago. I did notice that V. Dias made kind of "formulaic" treatments when painting certain areas just from those 5 paintings we did find. Look at the shirt in the first link from Bonhams, on mine and of this group below #1 and #3. They all have identical collars with left side up, right side down, similar noses, little dime sized circle of light above the nose, and three of the girls have the exact round wisp of black hair on the right side of their forehead, etc. etc.

https://www.aspireauctions.com/#!/catalog/84/470/lot/20662

Bev, when you mention, "quite a few differences" between the one I have and these others, I'm curious. What do you see? Is it in the painting style? Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    cxgirl likes this.
  17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Your piece and the 3rd one (red sweater) in the example you show look (to me) like they are the same child. The eyes and noses on all of them look the same to me, but I'm not an art person so I could be off base.

18. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It appears to be a copy of the Dias in the red shirt - same hair and face but done by a different artist.

My mother bought a sketch of a little girl, same style - so this seems to be popular subject matter (and style) of tourist art. (I don't remember where my mom bought hers, thought it was Peru but may have been in Portugal.)

Please let us know if you find a signature under the frame.

19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I understand that sometimes artists repaint the same subject, but, speaking as an artist, I see a different hand at work. Hard to say because they were taken in different light, but here's what I see:
    1. The palette is different.
    2. Brushstrokes are different.
    3. Background totally different.
    4. Clothing treatment completely different.
    5. Just the quality of work

I think it's a copy of the verified painting. A fairly good copy, but I'm not convinced it's Dias.

paint5.jpg image.jpg

20. Lucille.b

Bev, you may be absolutely correct. Here is another signed Dias #1, just for fun. I do see some different treatment of the hair, but if painted at a completely different time or year, could it possibly be the same artist? I just find it a little odd that someone would copy a relatively unknown artist, but not impossible. Also maybe Diaz is more known than the internet suggests. Thanks! Fun to see this through your eyes. (I am still getting a sense of art, so totally defer to folks who know more.)
    momebay.jpg paint6.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted