Thoughts on plate

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Chris Mount, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

Hello again any info on this plate please Matt black finish some gold finish showing copper underneath quite detailed chris 15064162865680.jpg 15064162866201.jpg 15064162866422.jpg 15064163257383.jpg

kyratango, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Toledo ware, Spain, with the Toledo coat of arms:
    [​IMG]

A very nice piece. The black is iron, the gold is real gold, and there appears to be silver as well. Where is the copper?

3. Chris Mount

Your the best as always copper is showing up under some of the slightly worn gold.
    I have these from toledo they make some nice stuff.
    Do you reckon plate was a good buy at 4 dollars

judy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

It was, a very good buy. It is a very nice plate, quality work, look at the detail on the wings.

judy likes this.
  5. Chris Mount

For got my previous image 15064176543763.jpg

6. Any Jewelry

That is tourist quality Toledo-ish. An attractive set, all swords complete, but not hand made and sold in every souvenir shop in Spain.

Are you sure that is not rose gold? I've never seen copper on a genuine, handmade Toledo piece.

judy likes this.
  7. Chris Mount

I get copper and bronze mixed up so you put rose gold in the mix and I'm definitely screwed :woot:

judy likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

In Toledo technique a thin gold sheet (and silver) is hammered into iron. There are no copper, bronze or brass involved.
    In smaller pieces, like jewellery, the iron is set in a gilt brass mount or back. When there is wear to the gold design on the front, the only other metal that shows is iron. When there is wear to the gilding of the back, you can see brass, like on this mid-century Toledo brooch:
    upload_2017-9-26_12-8-34.jpeg
    The front, with gold, silver and enamel, is still in good condition. You can also see the way it is set in the brass back:
    upload_2017-9-26_12-10-38.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  9. Chris Mount

Does look like rose gold 15064588293341.jpg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Certainly much nice than most.

Debora

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Your cocktail stick set is indeed known as Toledo ware, or faux damascene. Printed stamped base metal. The charger is the real thing. It is made by punching designs by hand into oxidised iron: the key thing there is the oxidation. Toledo Ware is just coloured. The impressed areas on real damascene then have VERY thin precious metal foil applied. Not enough to make it worth melting, I hasten to add. I have rather a lot of it, both real and faux, mostly bought in Spain.

Good explanation of the difference here:

https://www.myclassicjewelry.com/blog/vintage-damascene-jewelry/

Which also covers Niello and Japanese damascene.

12. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The person who writes the blog above needs to stay away from Wikipedia and research real information.A number of items are totally wrong.

Video on real damascene with a plate similar to the OP's.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've been to Damascene workshops in Toledo. The blog is pretty reasonable on the subject.

Would you care to explain what your perceived errors are, rather than simply making blanket statements?