Featured Thoughts on small amber diamond pattern glasses?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Pat P, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

These are very small, about the size of shot glasses. Is that what they are, or could they be toothpicks or another form?

They were my mother's so aren't 21st century. I think she probably bought them in the 1960s and most likely at an antique store or show. Most of her glass collection are amber EAPG pieces, but some newer pieces might have slipped in here and there.

Does anyone know the pattern name? Any thoughts on age, maker, etc.? Any clues would be much appreciated...

upload_2018-11-11_21-51-54.png

upload_2018-11-11_21-52-31.png

upload_2018-11-11_21-53-33.png
    upload_2018-11-11_21-54-3.png

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Another question... is the irregularity of the top edges an indication of poor workmanship or of older pieces or of something else?

judy, i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Hi Pat
    I can't help with the pattern name but I can say that I have had many glasses that had irregular top edges... from vintage Culver glass to vintage Fire King too.

They are pretty, I hope someone else can help you.

judy, Pat P and i need help like this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, Pearls.

I looked at various diamond pattern pieces online but didn't find any that looked like this pattern.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Gee, I was hoping someone could help identify these glasses, or at least what to call them?

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Pat - It might help to know how much they hold and/or how tall they are. They may be survivors from a cordial set.
    Don

Pat P likes this.
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, Don.

The glasses are about 3" high and 1-1/8 in diameter at the top. They hold less than 2oz, probably about 1.8 or 1.9oz. It's a guess since my measuring cup doesn't measure less than 2 ounces.

I wondered if they might be cordials, but had the impression they usually have stems?

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Not all have stems. I've seen several in this shape. Some even have a chrome holder which circles the bottle.
    Don

pearlsnblume and Pat P like this.
  9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ah, so I guess I can feel safe in calling them cordials. Thanks. :)

Any thoughts on the age or maker? Also, are the lines (indentations?) in the glass along the sides called "mold marks"?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

In my listings I rarely mention mold lines. They usually show up pretty well in the pictures. I'd guess production at post WWII based on the color. Frankly, I'd consideration donating them. The quality just isn't there. Cordial listings don't usually do well and rarely bring more than a few dollars when they do sell.
    Don

pearlsnblume and Pat P like this.
  11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks for the additional info, Don. I've only sold a couple of glass items previously and am still on a learning curve.

It doesn't help that they're amber, either. Most of my inherited EAPG items are amber and I know it's not so popular these days.

I think I'll do a giveaway in Antiquers and see if anyone would like them. :)

dgbjwc, pearlsnblume and SBSVC like this.
  12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I doubt these are EAPG, Pat. Most likely depression era at the earliest. One other possible area to explore is that these might be tumblers for a child's set. The more I look at there the more possibilities I see. Unfortunately, none of these possibilities mean very much when talking value. While we're on the subject, EAPG sales in any color are pretty much dead for me right now. It's been awhile since I sold anything and I've got at least 30 pieces out there I'll bet. It might come back. I hope so, there are a lot of neat patterns.
    Don

Pat P and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Pat, just a thought. Since you already took the pics, maybe toss them up on Etsy for 20 cents and see what is what.
    Put some toothpicks in one for staging maybe?
    Some people just want to decorate with certain colors and they don't care who made the glassware. They just like the look.
    Good luck with them.
    P.S. I mention mold marks and mold seams in my listings just as a matter of my style of listing.
    :)

Pat P and dgbjwc like this.
  14. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

They scream mid-century to me.

Pat P and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Oh, I see I wasn't clear, Don. I had a feeling these weren't EAPG and your earlier posts confirmed it. I just meant that most of the EAPG items I inherited are amber. The majority are daisy & button, some hobnail, and maybe a few other patterns as well.

I haven't tried to sell them since sales seemed so slow, but probably will start listing a few here and there and try to be satisfied with low prices.

I think we need someone to invent a dishwasher that can safely clean antique glassware... that might get people buying it again! :)

16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, Pearls. I'm offering them as a giveaway here and if no one wants them, I think I'll use them to decorate a window sill myself. At least I won't be worried about sunlight affecting antique glass since it ain't! :)

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted