Thoughts on the future value of iconic tech company rarities

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by OneOffPoster, Aug 19, 2019.

1. OneOffPoster

OneOffPoster New Member

So we all know that a 30 year old computer isn't really a highly sought after collectible. This is different than a 50 year old car because the 50 year old car has a cool factor and can operate on a modern roadway.

But what are your thoughts on rare memorabilia (not the actual technology) from iconic technology companies (Think: Google, Oracle, Microsoft, etc).

For example I often see old Bell signs and other memorabilia at antique stores and they seem to sell quick. Through my work with companies like Google, Oracle, and Amazon I have acquired some really neat items that aren't mass produced for available for sale (basically they are promotional pieces for people who give talks, contribute to research, etc but arent necessarily employed by those companies). I provided a picture of one such piece ( a pin ) that was given to me by a niche department of Oracle for contributing to a invite only UX research panel at their yearly open world convention. I think there were maybe 50 of them made, possibly less. Any thoughts / speculations on the the collectible aspect of a piece like this say, 50 years down the road?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/38ob4iT73GMdAx2t7

Joe2007 likes this.
  2. OneOffPoster

OneOffPoster New Member

To clarify, I'm not talking about this piece in particular, but rather in a more general sense

3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

The stuff that's not mass produced will have value, surely. Tech from those companies has been affected the lives of everyone and will continue to do so.

judy likes this.
  4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I think that the "first" commercially produced line of a technology will garner some collector cache. For example, I recently sold a Sony Walkman without a cassette player (just a radio) for $70 - market was circa $50, but mine had a low serial number so was of more interest. I can see such markets growing (heaven forgive me, but there is a collector on YouTube called Tech Moan or some such who blathers about collectible electronics).

As for the items such as you pictured, yeah - I think those items will grow a following faster than not. Think of Coke, Campbells, defunct airlines, etc. I think a lot of the market will be driven by who absorbs whom or which went bust, etc. Not saying that these items will require a loan to finance, but like all niche collectibles, there will be the rare AND desirable pieces................knowing which are both is the sellers quandary..............

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Tech t-shirts can be collectible.

Mansons2005 likes this.
  6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Saw an discussion on another site about a pair of Apple shoes that sell for $$$$ a few months ago. They were limited edition and only distributed to a few select employees.

Draft saved Draft deleted