Thoughts on this tea cup?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tanya, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I bought this little transfer ware cup because I have not seen one with a scalloped edge like this before. The crazing was very brown and dirty. A good soak in oxy clean lightened it but it’s still dirty. Before I do more cleaning it, I would love to have some idea idea of when it’s from. I hope I’m not messing around with anything of value! (I paid $5.)

487A8384-B1C8-4398-A8E1-AB8E4C08A9C0.jpeg D42C2DFD-F518-4D98-96A2-34327DB27ECB.jpeg C43A977D-787F-491D-8647-303501CEF977.jpeg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It's a Staffordshire one, off the top of my head I think about 1830. I think yours is the Canova pattern. It was made by several makers with slight differences to the pattern. As I recall all of the patterns with the saw-tooth edge I found were from Mayer but I may be remembering incorrectly.

Here is a similar cup I have in brown with it's matching saucer. Just checked my notes, mine has a makers mark on the saucer for T. Mayer in the Canova pattern ca. 1830.
    IMG_20200906_090821.jpg

upload_2020-9-6_9-24-24.png

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    Lucille.b, bluumz, antidiem and 4 others like this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I <3 Staffordshire transferware!

Quite a lot of it seems to have survived.

Tanya likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

sis is spot on. Millions of pieces were made.

Tanya likes this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Try a soak in peroxide. Most people recommend the 40% hair salon peroxide. I just use the 10% peroxide from the pharmacy and let it sit longer.
    I don't bake it afterward either.

NEVER use bleach.

Tanya likes this.
  6. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone! Such a helpful bunch, as always : -)

I’ll try with the 10% peroxide next.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

You may have to let it sit for a day or two, because the solution is weaker.

Tanya likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted