Featured Thoughts on this tea set please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by CheersDears, Aug 1, 2021.

1. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

Hello. I hope everyone is good and chipper. Here in lockdown Sydney I have just acquired this lot -- 12 cups and saucers, lidded pot, lidless sugar and milk jug -- for a whole $A10. The camera battery died before I could get any decent pics, but it is a slightly perplexing business. It was bought from a deceased estate in the 80s and the seller's mother had died, so deceased estate No. 2.

The pot, jug and sugar bowl are numbered 999 and 35. It is hand-coloured and gilded transferware (?), but the transfer doesn't correlate with the design on the china. There is no decoration on the back of the cups. It's that opaque, hard, glossy, almost glassy china that I reckon is Austria or thereabouts. The pot with lid is 11 inches tall.

It's in excellent condition and, though over the top, is rather lovely and has cleaned up white and brill. P1120180.jpg P1120181.jpg P1120182.jpg P1120183.jpg

Any idea as to age and origin? Thanks in advance, and stay safe everyone.

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Art Nouveau for days !

pearlsnblume, judy and Tanya like this.
  3. CheersDears

Do you think it might be that early, @johnnnycb09? Might it be pre-WW1? And why the mismatched designs, and where from? Oh my goodness ...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    LauraGarnet02, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  4. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

Vintage Barvarian (German)?

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The handles are awesome, but I'd say it's a coffee pot.

6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Agree with janetpjohn, it's a coffee pot, not a teapot. Quite pretty!

judy, LauraGarnet02 and Bakersgma like this.
  7. johnnycb09

Im not seeing mismatched designs?

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  8. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing I don't see anything mismatched either.

When I first opened the thread and looked at the pictures I was thinking something along the lines of early Noritake, but I guess with the numbering system on the bottom it's probably European.

Though with the embossed design on the bottom of the coffee pot and the cups, which looks like a spider mum to me, I still wonder if it couldn't be Japanese.

I'm not totally sure if the flowers are painted or decals, but they are poppies. Don't think anyone has mentioned that yet.

Bakersgma likes this.
  9. johnnycb09

Correct me if Im wrong,but didnt poppies become popular around WW1 ?

10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"In Flanders fields the poppies grow...."

LauraGarnet02 and johnnycb09 like this.
  11. CheersDears

I'd have said coffee pot, except the 12 cups are a generous tea-cup size and it's very boofy for coffee. The poppies are "decals" or transfers, hand coloured and highlighted. The mismatch ... hopefully this photo shows an embossed design, including a full border, which doesn't tally with the poppies. This is a peculiarly one-sided set: there is no decoration on the back of the cups, not even any gold on the handles.

They are too opaque to be Japanese.

The bases are slightly rough -- not damaged, but not neatened up before glazing.

My first thought was Austria (or thereabouts) and post war, like someone was making do with what was on hand. But I guessed at 1930s or 40s.

It's exciting that John suggests earlier. Perhaps a rush job was done on some surviving white ware to cash in on a WWI export market. The hard, glassy porcelain still feels kind of "Dresden"-ish to me, but that poppy is very French, n'est pas? The gilding still puzzles, as does the size. That's two ornery coffee pots and a modern Doulton tea cup for comparison.

It's gone up in my estimation, for sure. Thanks for your input, everyone, and more opinions welcome of course.
    P1120186.jpg P1120188.jpg

12. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Of course there are smaller coffee pots, but I don't believe there are tall, skinny teapots.

LauraGarnet02 and bluumz like this.
  13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Regardless of the cup size, the pot is definitely a coffee pot. Teapots are not tall and slim, coffee pots are. Teapots are bulbous/globular in shape to allow better movement, and therefore better steeping, of the tea leaves.
    I don't know what you mean by "boofy"...

EDIT: Some may suggest it's a chocolate pot but chocolate pots typically have a pour spout at the top rim of the pot, such as this beautiful example:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    LauraGarnet02 and johnnycb09 like this.
  14. CheersDears

How about a description "coffee or tea or chocolate pot or pitcher", as is used frequently and no doubt loosely by sellers of tall, vintage vessels? The pot is three times bigger and more bulbous than any coffee pots I have, but it is not of the "short and stout" teapot variety, granted. Whatever. I'll edit my original post.

"Can anyone tell me about this tea set (comprising 12 x teacups and saucers and unusually large coffee pot) please."

:)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  15. CheersDears

Nope, edit can't be done. What a shame.

16. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

I think the shapes, handles, finial of the pot of this set on eBay are a match for yours. Different decoration.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-P...OUVEAU-COFFEE-SET-PRINTED-1900s-/140528493740

I'm at a disadvantage because when I enlarge the pictures on eBay they just get horribly blurry. Hopefully the rest of you can see clear pictures on eBay and tell if the details match OPs set. I can't read the numbers on the bottom of the pieces the seller shows.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-P...OUVEAU-COFFEE-SET-PRINTED-1900s-/140528493740

17. CheersDears

@LauraGarnet02 ... thanks so much! What a find! Same set for sure. You champion!!! Now how about finding an orphan lid for my sugar bowl :) Thanks very, very much.

Draft saved Draft deleted